Biodiesel Detection

Rate this topic

Does anyone know of a simple way to detect the presence of biodiesel in a fuel system sample? I guess there are test labs that can do this but it would be great if there was some kind of simple test strip that can simply detect biodiesel.

Yes, I have a suspicious fuel sample and a loaded exhaust that I can't explain.

None that I know of. I'm actually quite disappointed at how little we can do in the shop for detecting a bad fuel sample, and lab analysis are getting more expensive all of the time.

I'd put it in a glass jar and see if it separated, and put it in the freezer a few hours to see if it gelled or clouded.

Shoot a picture of it for S&G.

Posted Image

I took some of my fuel sample, put it into my test tube and placed it in a freezer. No clouding or gelling.

Posted Image

The fuel sample in question is suspicious because it is a light brown color similar to tea. Not red. At first glance you might suspect rust or dirt however the sample jar sat around for 5 days and there was no settling. Any dirty or rusty sample I have taken and allowed to hang around always separates leaving a fine layer at the bottom of the jar.

I spoke with the customer about is fuel and he said he gets fuel from several stations in NYC or NJ. I showed him the sample and he immediately recognized it as marine fuel - he has a boat. He says he did not buy Marine diesel and is suspicious of where it came from if in fact that is what it is. I did not know marine diesel had a specific color or does it? Anybody experienced with marine fuel?