10w30 in 6.0

Rate this topic

What is your guys opinion on running 10w30 year round. My particular climate here never gets above 90 deg and the rare occasion it does it usually doesnt last long. I use the pick-up to pull on the weekends(pulls the wifes horse trailer). I can get 10w30 out of the reel year round and it is much cheaper than buying 15w40 by the gallon jug. I know ford reccomends using 15w40 when pulling and in the summer. I would think that 10w30 would be fine here since we usually dont get reall hot, just want to see what other peoples opinions are. thanks for the input.

You're right on the edge. If you look at the chart, it OK's 10W30 up to 90 degrees, but not pulling a trailer. Where is the truck parked at night- inside (heated), unheated, outside, and how many miles do you drive per year? Is it a daily driver, or just for hauling stuff? Is it really that much of an inconvenience to dump the oil twice a year?

Nothing like being grilled over a simple question, eh?

Posted Image

Demographics, particularly the part involving climatology, weighs heavily.

"Extremely hot" in the summer (for my personal taste) is 70~75F. 10W30 is the temperate season oil of choice. Even for those that tow occasionally.

By the same token, "extremely cold" can be a tough definition.... In Jan/Feb, we can expect some days at -40 or colder. -40 becomes a 'normal' temp rather than an extreme temp... 0W30 is the oil of choice.

We used to put 15W40 in 6.0s way back when... even in the summer we could have 'morning romps' with oil this thick....

To qualify some of my statements.... We haven't tried 15W40 lately, even in the wake of all these new injector strategies.... Once you have decided against something, it is hard to "go back". At the same time, again in light of new injector strategies, has Ford reconsidered pilot injection? From memory, back before pilot injection became a problem, the 6.0 would about rip the skin off your face from a standstill. Then, somewhere in the "reflash of the day" frenzy, the 6.0 suddenly developed the inability to pull a sick whore off a pisspot with a greased seat below 2000 rpm....

Ever notice that it is getting tougher to give "small answers" to "small questions"? We are reaching that level of complexity where any one question can spawn a half dozen new questions without ever answering the original....

Before I came to this dealership, we switched from 15W40 to 10W30 in the winter and then back to 15W40 in the spring. Myself, I still believe in 15W40 in the summer especially if towing. If a customer is just a grocery getter, then I say use 10W30 all year round. Here we are now overheating the bejesus out these oil coolers and seeing them explode so regularly and it seems to me that the trend of running 10W30 more and more across the North American continent is contributing to oil cooler failures. The customers I used to have that ran 15W40 didn't have oil coolers issues like I see now. Now we also have new PCM strategies that kick the cooling fan in sooner than previously. My opinion is that these engines need all the help that they can get to protect against thermal breakdown and overheating. And as for cold stiction issues, I would say that there ain't nothin ya gonna do to make these piece of shit injectors any good. I don't see the cold stiction issues any better in this part of Alberta where most folks are running 10W30 as compared to where I was before and most folks ran 15W40. As I've said in other posts, these injectors seem to have a life span of a copper spark plug and I would rather replace injectors than engines, especially if I was an owner of one of these things. There is also that little block heater cord in the front bumper that most folks find to be to much work to plug in. But if they do get lugged in in the cold weather, they actually do work and help these things start. Just my Posted Image

It is my personal pick-up(wish I hadnt bought it but none the less have to take care of it). I have been switching back and forth from 10w30 in the winter to 15w40 in the summer. I was trying to streamline my parts stock to one weight of oil. I have however decided the the hell with it, I will just follow the book. I put 15w40 in it. It gets me to work, yet it pulls a trailer every weekend down at the farm. I was thinking about this saturday night when I couldn't sleep. I was thinking along the same lines as dwayne and how many oil cooler failures, etc. you guys have been seeing. The 6.0 needs all the help it can get. My pick-up has a 6 speed which I think helps a lot. I have noticed that in the fleet at work the 6.0s with manuals have had very few issues while the trucks with the torqueshift have had lots of issues. I have two 7.3s that I own and my buddies all have 7.3s as well. So I might as well just keep the 15-40 in the shop. Thanks for the thoughts guys

• 2 weeks later...

This may offer some insight into the concern.... The truly sad part is that this is a very old concept but youngsters feel us old guys are unworthy...

Now.... if you can't figure some of this out on your own, I am really sorry.... planishing is a technique born thousands of years ago.... If you do not understand this..... What can I say?

Stiction? There are umpteen dozen parlour tricks that deal with this concept....and you guys are flumoxxed.....

Planishing is a fact of life..... and you young uns are ever so smarter than us old hens.

Interesting.... earlier today Dwayne and I were talking about "change".

We may change HOW we take a motor out of a truck..... but can we change WHY we take a motor out of a truck?

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman

Interesting.... earlier today Dwayne and I were talking about "change".

Going through "the change"?

Posted Image

Hot flashes and all, big boy Posted Image

Change in the name of experimentation is OK... change for improvement is good... Change for the sake of change.... I have re-incarnated the great Canadian flag debate in another thread..... Posted Image

In the auto industry, we see time and again that the old guys (at the design and technological development levels) are put out to pasture before the young lions learn everything that they could or should....

We don't learn from our history.... and that means we are doomed to repeat it.

Ahhh yes Jim. But don't you sometimes mention that Old methods sometime work real well and why mess with perfection or something along that line? And sometimes all this new theory and bullshit is sometimes perfected with old methods or something along that line again? I don't know man, I'm all for change as you well know. But I do believe that sometimes old methods just work real well. I guess this is where we are all a bunch of little guinea pigs in this big world and we find the balance with trial error or better known to Ford as research and development. I think lately in this automotive technological world we have tried a shitload of change only to find out in some (not all) cases that Old sometimes still works really well.