Scorpion or Power Stroke?

Rate this topic

I was talking with someone at Ford who didn't know the answer to this - is Scorpion more than just the project code name or will the "name" of the power plant actually be Scorpion replacing the Power Stroke? Two ways of looking at it is Power Stroke has excellent recognition and it is a good name. The flip side is that Ford might want to disassociate their new FORD designed and built engine with International and all of the problems.

Opinions?

Good point BUT this picture is telling a story too. While it doesn't mention "Power Stroke" it shows the stigma attached to these engines. Perhaps a re branding is in order. I like either name actually.

Posted Image

Before I ended up here in Slave Lake, I was talking with a Powerstroke Rep that used to come around to Fourlane the odd time. He said that the "Powerstroke" Branded title was a joint title between Ford and Navistar to recognize the Ford engine and that the new Scorpion title is Ford's new identity title for the new Ford built diesel engine. He had said that they want to get away from all of bad publicity and hype that Navistar has given them with the Powerstroke branded title. The original 7.3L Powerstroke was extrememly famous for all the right reasons. But the Six liter had in no time totally branded the Powerstroke title with an embarrassing reputation for being the biggest piece of junk since the Ford Pinto. So from what the Ford Powerstroke Rep had told me, Scorpion is the new name of the engine. Let's just hope that this engine doesn't wind up being junk like we've seen for the last six years.

Or Power Choke. But yeah. It's too bad they had to tarnish the original name that identified the 7.3L. I find myself not wanting to wear anything in public that displays the Powerstroke Name. But if it were something that just displays 7.3L, no one ridicules you for that.

I wear my Powerstroke jacket in public, but I'm just big enough to get away with it Posted Image

Guy told me once, (well, not just once, but this once in particular) - "You're an asshole!"

My reply? "Yep! And I'm just big enough to pull it off, too!"

Much will depend on how we carry ourselves during "the act". I find no shame in the 6.0... nor in the 6.4. Each and everyone of you should be proud to be able to understand these motors -

motors that, quite frankly, can stop so many techs dead in their tracks.... including some of the techs that have taken the training.

The 6.9 certainly wasn't any screaming success in it's early years and the 7.3 (in any of it's flavours) didn't enjoy success right out of the box.

But the 7.3 DIT was a destination.... Between the 7.3 PSD and the VT444, we are talking a long and (ultimately) successful production run.

The 6.0 and the 6.4 were only ever meant to be stop gap engines - the 6.4 may have been intended for the addition of urea injection/SR catalyst but I guess we will never know that now.

FWIW, while we can all admit that the emissions controls on the 6.0 have proven to be less than robust for some operators, there isn't much sense in issuing blanket statements like "these things are shit" without offering alternatives that will allow these engines to meet tailkpipe emission requirements.

Face it.... most all of the 6.0s concerns are operator induced.... including most of the pooched head gaskets. (Yes, I realize that this is a pretty broad and bold statement). In ideal operating conditions, the VGT wouldn't have the opportunity to stick and if the VGT didn't stick, would the engine start down that slippery slope to bad head gaskets?

Hold your head high, young fella... there ain't no shame in either what you do - nor the engines you do it to....

Maybe not - there are a lot of people who don't want them. I had a wholesaler ask me about a potential trade in that was in my bay with a bad turbo and blown head gaskets... often when he tries to sell 6.0L truck that he has he either hears "no thanks" or "click!"

Actually have had numerous customers with 6.0's come in and out of warranty actually brag how good their trucks have been. Now mind you these have been 04-05 trucks and have been used in the work place, pulling loads with them they aren't the grocery getters we are used to seeing. I firmly believe that the 6.0 has gotten a bad rep because of the end users using them as a grocery getter and not a work truck, pulling heavy shit and being paid for it. This engine was designed for the bigger trucks and ended up in the F-series. Nav. doesn't have the problems we do??????

Actually have had numerous customers with 6.0's come in and out of warranty actually brag how good their trucks have been.

Ditto, same here. I have tons with little or no service history, but plenty the other way around, too.

Now mind you these have been 04-05 trucks and have been used in the work place, pulling loads with them they aren't the grocery getters we are used to seeing. I firmly believe that the 6.0 has gotten a bad rep because of the end users using them as a grocery getter and not a work truck, pulling heavy shit and being paid for it. This engine was designed for the bigger trucks and ended up in the F-series. Nav. doesn't have the problems we do??????

I agree. It seems if they are worked normally (box truck, wrecker) with a normal load, they have fewer problems. The problem trucks in my fleets seem to be either not worked hard enough, or really overworked (triaxle trailer and 20-30K+ GVW). Ambulances seem to be on the hit parade due to too much idle time and then too much WOT, or something. I've seen 7-9MPH average on the hour meters on ambulances, but there's ambulances that have a very low service history, too, sometimes in the same fleet. It doesn't always make sense, but on the average, the trucks "worked" are healthier than those that aren't.

IH VT365's don't seem to have the same problems due to heavier loads, lower HP/fuel rate, and larger cooling system. Also, IH has Uptime programs to automatically install all of the redesigned parts when the truck is in for a PM. (EGR, turbo clean, rockers, MAP, EBP, etc, etc, etc.)

Posted Image

Quote:
Ambulances seem to be on the hit parade due to too much idle time and then too much WOT, or something.
]

What we have seen is that when a Ambulance pulls into a hospital they MUST shut down immediately after pulling in. We have had alot of hot shutdown turbo failures, due to the bearings not being allowed to cool down before shutting down.

Ford owns the Power Stroke brand name out right. International has no rights to the name. Scorpion is currently the project name and I suppose it will stay that way. I expect that Ford will use the Power Stroke name in 2010.

Scorpion is currently the project name and I suppose it will stay that way. I expect that Ford will use the Power Stroke name in 2010.

The last time I spoke with my FSE we agreed that is the more likely scenario. At the time he still had no clue what the official plan is.

I think there is way too much confusion around a powertrain that is supposed to be out in a month or so. I mean if it's gonna be in a 2010 truck and August is around the corner, then what's the big fuckin secret. Ford needs to let us in on what's going on pretty damn soon. After all they do expect us to fix them.

Looking at Stars2, I see our Canadian classroom schedule displayed up until December.... DECEMBER!!!! and squat about 6.7 classroom time.

Does it matter if they call this a PSD or Scorpion or fudgepacker2?

WHEN will we see it.... WHEN will we be prepared for it... WHEN will we be treated like trained professionals rather than talented monkeys????

I have heard alot of guys out here with 6.0l trucks say that they are still planning on buying Ford superduty trucks even though there 6.0l truck gave lots of problems.They have not lost faith in Ford they have lost faith in all mfr's diesels and blame the the EPA for the decreased reliability in light duty diesel engines.

WHEN will we be treated like trained professionals rather than talented monkeys????

Umm, I think that "talented monkeys" is about the best we can hope for until the end of the forseeable future.

OASIS quickstart. The unidentified network communication the IDS performs when connecting to a vehicle. PC/ED's interactive measurements with the VMM and IDS.

I imagine that IDS support at Ford and ACES will start communicating with each other soon, if they haven't already...

I can see a job interview for a service tech in 10 years... "Do you have your own tools and can you read?" "I can't read, sir" "That's ok, son, we've got JAWS installed on your IDS terminal."

Greg, you and I seem to think along similar lines...

I can see it now... "Meat thing... step forward and bow before the terminal...".

One often has to wonder if "The Rise of the Machines and "1984" are works of science fiction or prophecies (no, I haven't gone over the edge, yet - but I do mentally compare some of todays 'reality' shows with their less PC science fiction counterparts. We become jaded to some events or actions and they are made more spectacular to regain our interest).

John... we are seeing some customers switch to the V10 - mind you, that would have been a wiser choice for them from the git-go...

Kieth... this trade already has too many talented monkeys and far too few trained professionals...