18 miles,axle busted,'08 F550

Rate this topic

Got an '08 F550 with 18 miles off the lot,the rear axle is busted....3 of 6 carrier bolts are broke,there is metal throughout the system...did a lukewarm line request Posted Image

They instructed me to replace the third member and flush the axle.

Anybody seen this?

I'd be more than happy to rebuild it(pays more),service manager had me do the hotline thing and whala...$2000 ring and pinion assembly coming from detroit,should be here next week some time...no way i'm getting ALL the metal out of this axle Posted Image

More importantly, what kind of noise did that make?!

Customer usage or was this on the PDI?

Or on the way to the upfitter for a dump box or something?

Inquiring minds want to know!

We had a brand new '07 do the samething. It whined pretty bad. Don't fuck around with trying to overhaul one of these, just replace the third member and get it out of your bay, you will be glad you did trust me.

If you do get the third member, a set of old head bolts from a 6.0L are the same thread pitch and diameter as the member bolts to the case. If you have any left over from head jobs you can lop the heads off two of them and use them as guide pins, so you don't fuck up your gasket maker trying to lift that heavy bastard into position.

If you do get the third member, a set of old head bolts from a 6.0L are the same thread pitch and diameter as the member bolts to the case. If you have any left over from head jobs you can lop the heads off two of them and use them as guide pins, so you don't fuck up your gasket maker trying to lift that heavy bastard into position.

Excellent tip! Posted Image

We have had to do a number of wasted 3rd members, too. Overhaul was not really an option due to the damage. Wish the new one would come with a drive flange installed so you wouldn't have to mess with torqueing the nut. We fashioned a flat plate on a section of square tubing that slides over the end of our cherry picker. Just have to bolt the 3rd member by the flange to the plate and let the cherry picker handle the weight. Works well if you have the rig on a hoist.

We have had to do a number of wasted 3rd members, too. Overhaul was not really an option due to the damage. Wish the new one would come with a drive flange installed so you wouldn't have to mess with torqueing the nut. We fashioned a flat plate on a section of square tubing that slides over the end of our cherry picker. Just have to bolt the 3rd member by the flange to the plate and let the cherry picker handle the weight. Works well if you have the rig on a hoist.

Tourqing that nut is SUCH a bitch.

I have ohauled one of these in an 07, not too bad a job. The complete 3rd member was 9000$ Couldnt even come close to cost capping it, mind you we had no carrier or case damage.