My First Catastrophic 6.4L Failure

Rate this topic

I know myself personally, I contact the hotline quite frequently, only for the reason of having documentation to support a repair. "Well -- The hotline pretengineer suggested that as an avenue for repair, so I went that way with it" and I can typically get around any claim denial.

My 6.4 is workin' alright -- waiting on getting it into the shop, as you can see from my new "What's In Your Bay" thread...I'm a little behind.

I know you to be a smart technician. If you know you have a failure, do as complete of a tear down as needed to make a complete estimate and cost cap comparison then fill out the form and let it rip. Save your energy for the prior approval form. Posted Image

Understood. The biggest headache isn't only doing the actual wrenching, of which requires a great deal of attention to even the smallest of details, but the time it took me to look up every part, gasket, fastener and hardware item etc. to submit a cost cap quote. If left to the parts manager, I would've been getting a million questions, so I took the intiative and did it all myself. What now pisses me off the most, is EVEN IF they miraculously cave in and approve a drop-in, how am I going to be compensated for all the lost time, of having my bay down, and going to the trouble of gathering all this info? This is not to mention, that even if and when the truck is brought back to a state that is driveable, what about the DOC and DPF?

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
I have a failed 6.4L waiting for me after the holiday weekend. I have been there three times already. I feel your pain.
Well, after this hooping that I'm getting, it's seriously making me wonder if I should outright refuse to work on any more 6.4L that roll in the door. And I am the last person in our shop to refuse certain jobs. I guess that's how I got weasled into doing this type of work to begin with.

From now on, whenever I have a shortened rod on a 6.4L and over fueling issues I will always pull the exhaust valves. From what I have seen lately, exhaust valves and seats are something that can be overlooked way to easily on these engines.

Mike, did you remove the exhaust valves for inspection?

I have see leaking exhaust valves on both 6.4's that I have torn down as well, there is so much that you have to look out for on this engine and if you miss something it will kick your ass down the road

Well, after this hooping that I'm getting

Negatory.

I'd just go to the SM, and say you best be makin' sure I'm gettin my time covered on this, or you can pound the truck up your ass.

If you have a service manager that isn't a complete DICK, you should be able to get your time covered, at LEAST.

We bought a truck from you guys today. Grey '10 F-350 Dually 6.4