6 versus 8

Rate this topic

On a whim, the engineers at Lincoln were running there traps about the Ecoboost out running the big boys with V-8's. So the guys at Motortrend said put your money where your mouth is, and this developed, it's a nice little piece if you have 20 minutes or so to tune in.....

6 versus 8

I absolutely HATE those cars, if we are talking about the Lincoln MKS. I did a PDI on one not too long ago, and just about every experience I had with it was horrible. Let's see:

-you can't see jack shit in the back, due to its body design, leaving blind spots as bad, or even worse than a Ford GT

-that stupid push-button start feature took me minutes to figure out, how to get the damn thing started. Just another gimmick that I think is stupid

-the way the console and instrument panel is designed, makes me feel very claustrophobic, due to how little space there is to move around

-the particular model I drove and PDI'd was front wheel drive and had A LOT of torque steer under moderate acceleration, something I feel SHOULD be non-existent in a car with a $40G price tag. If for no other reason, AWD SHOULD be standard.

WTF is with all these Lincoln MK this and MK that lately? This is starting to get too damn confusing. If Lincoln's intent is to get all the loyal faithful Town Car owners back into the showrooms, one thing's for damn sure. They AIN'T doing it with this car! Speaking of which, WHY WHY WHY discontinue the Town Car/Grand Marquis/Crown Victoria line? That model line has to be EASILY the most successful line for FoMoCo.

All of the Town car and G/M owners are in their 70's now so that market is about dead literally. The MK.... is our attempt to modernize. Most of the people now buying high end cars value handling a lot more than the owners of the t/c did.

Quote:
I absolutely HATE those cars, if we are talking about the Lincoln MKS.

I guess it's safe to say that you hate the Taurus SHO as well?

Can't say. I haven't driven one.........YET.

My friends 06 Corvette has the "smart key"... It is great... and perhaps a bit too simple?

With the key in your pocket, all you need to do is approach the car... touch the doorlatch and the door unlocks... sit in the seat and touch the button... that car starts...

Vision out the back is limited... Gee... in my 05 Mustang vert vision out the back is limited...

This is the future of the automobile, Mike... convenience is one key phrase among many... we are bound, by logic, to work on those vehicles that the general public finds attractive...

The Flex is fugly... but it's a nice car to drive... If this is the car folks buy, it's what I will have to work on.

It really doesn't matter what any of us thinks about these machines.... what matters is "can we fix them"...

What is the car of 2020 going to look like?

The Flex is fugly... but it's a nice car to drive... If this is the car folks buy, it's what I will have to work on.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. And I think that adjective is being a tad generous.

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman
It really doesn't matter what any of us thinks about these machines.... what matters is "can we fix them"...

What is the car of 2020 going to look like?

I hear you loud and clear SIR!

I happen to like the Flex because it IS different. The new designs and implementation of *new* technologies like direct injection are what keeps things progressing. Just remember that it is the fickle finger of the public's checkbook and government regulation that have the biggest impact on vehicle design therefore you shouldn't be looking for anything related to this discussion to make sense. Personally I could care less if the Ford 6 cylinder engines hold their own to competitive 8 cylinder engines as I look at every vehicle for what it is and how it fills my needs and desires. I would likely never buy any of those over-priced cars to begin with but that is another topic altogether. I will say it is nice to see Ford being less conservative with their design.

Posted Image

In 1967 the man that was to become the best man at my wedding purchased a brand new 1967 Fairlane two door pillar coupe (two door sedan to the uninitiated). 289 CID, C4 automatic and power steering and brakes... Nearly a full load of options given the era....

The number sticks in my mind.... nearly.... was it $3258 for the purchase price? or $3248? I saw the line sheet but this was 1967.... If you want to pick on me.... what do YOU remember from 1967???? Posted Image

To put things in perspective - this car had an AM radio.... no media player of any sort... it had linkage type power steering... it had breaker point ignition.... it had an alternator with an externally mounted regulator... It was built by people earning a realistic wage... When this car was new, I was earning about $3.25 per hour, gasoline was about 32 cents per imperial gallon and a glass of beer was 15 cents. This car had less than a dozen glass fuses.... ATO, MAX, PAL and MIN fuses were an engineers wet dream. My loving bride bought a bakers dozen of bread loaves for a buck... and we didn't have GST.... or the gun registry...

The only thing we should find surprising is that we now have twin turbos on a small displacement engine ... we have 2500 PSI plus on a gasoline fuel system.... (am I the only one that finds this scarey?).. and this is something that will jade us in the future...

Overpriced? My first "real" house was $66K... My Dads first house was $39K.

It isn't a matter of the V6 "holding it's own" against V8s.... It is all about the technology that got it there....

The last thing we should do is think that "this is where it stops"....

The only thing we should find surprising is that we now have twin turbos on a small displacement engine ... we have 2500 PSI plus on a gasoline fuel system.... (am I the only one that finds this scarey?)..

The frightening thing about this to me, is there is really no mention of any sort of safety procedures in the shop manual when I looked it last.

Somethin along the lines of

Originally Posted By: Common Man's Shop Manual

WARNING!! (insert rotating ! sign here) THE SECOND YOU STOP RESPECTING THIS FUEL SYSTEM, IT KILLS YOU!

would be appropriate.

Is there any WBT or classroom courses on fixing this engine? I haven't looked.

Hmmm... in 1967 I went to Expo 67 in Montreal... it's where we lived at the time... At that time, I was spending most of my waking hours trying to get back into a warm place quite similar to the one you were evicted from.

FWIW, I didn't say I didn't like the Flex... I said it was fugly.

I've never gone to bed with an ugly chick... though I have woken up with a few....

Onion on your belt, yadda.

Rodney Carrington:

"How many of you guys got drunk gone home with a fat girl?"

"Shut up she's sittin right next to me!"

OR

"Some of you doin' it right now, you just don't know it yet!"

You can drink a ugly woman pretty.....

You can't drink a fat woman skinny.....

Anyways, back to the fuel system warnings. The fuel systems is putting out around 2500psi. Anyone checkout what the Diesel CR fuel systems are putting out????

250 to 1600 bar [3626 to 23,206 psi] Talk about scary!!!!

I think I told you guys about the mechanic at Chrysler when the 5.9 CR was still in testing and he decided to crack a fuel line and blew a hole thru his hand with the fuel pressure. He lasted 3 days before dying from blood poisoning. Scary shit. I'm not saying 2500psi isn't scary but 23K really opens your eyes.