'02 F350 engine R&I,cab off?

Rate this topic

Just wondering if it would be worth it to raise cab on an '02 F350 for engine problems...

This truck got caught in a hail storm in Sturgis,I just got the truck from the body shop,100psi of compression on #8...The truck has a FRESH black paint job,and as careful as I like to think I am,i don't know if the chance should be taken.

Never had the cab off an '02, although it does look similiar on initial inspection.

Any ideas,what do you think? Posted Image

A 2002 truck with a 7.3L? I wouldn't even consider removing the cab for any engine repairs or removal. I see your concerns for wanting to protect the paint but by the time you have the cab off the engine could be out... or just about. Posted Image

I have the real thick red snap on fender mats, they are almost like a sticky foam. I have four sets, which is enough to cover ENTIRELY, both front fenders with some small magnets strategically placed.

The magnets, coupled with the 'sicky' of the fender mats keeps them in place very well.

I don't know about the older cabs, but I can have the 6.0 super duty cabs off in about an hour if i'm just puttering along. I think I've set the world record. With my co-op student, He didn't do very much however, I had a 2005 F-350 ex-cab off in 37 minutes, from pulling it into the shop, to cutting the zipties off the motor that are holding the wiring harness and A/C lines and junk to the motor.

You also have to consider, are you possibly going to cause some scratches and junk on the body by lifting the cab? What if you slip taking the rear seat out and knock a door into a hoist? (assuming it's a crew)

There's so many variables, but personally, I'd just mask everything up with fender mats and pull it out through the front.

I'm not sure how you guys do it, but I pull the cooling stack and bumper and all that shit off and take it right out the front, that way I have lots of room. I also typically take the hood off so I can get as much light as humanly possible down in there without having to struggle past a trouble light and fuck around tripping over the cord.

Just my .02

Ice Road Truckers is on Posted Image

After you finish with the compression test, back the rockers off for that cylinder and remove your schrader valve from the compression adapter. Put air in the cylinder and see where it comes out. If you find you have a valve problem, seeing how the head your working on is on the drivers side, it is easily removed in no time. If you have air getting into the crankcase, I would suspect someone has been dosing this unit with gogo juice in effort to get it started at some point. In that case the engine is removed just as easily as the head, with the cab on.

We got a guy in our shop that can do an oil pan on one of these in less than a day (engine out). He actually has to let it sit overnight to allow the sealer to cure.

Good deal...thanks guys,cab stays on...last dealer I worked at (9 years)had a sliding chain hoist hanging from cieling,it was awesome for pullin motors,just pop the hood off and bam!....sure do miss that chain hoist...dont miss that dealer,at all,not 1 bit...i think

Chain hoist ain't that expensive if they've got the right steel girder to hang it from right above your stall. Not worth working somewhere you hate if that was the only high point LOL.

Pulled the engine out the front with the adapter that bolts to the front of the engine,pretty neat setup...

Seems by inspection that #8 has grooves on the cylinder wall from a failed piston ring,and of course customer can't afford a long block...don't think a cylinder hone will get the grooves out.

Wish I knew how to send pics,got a good camera phone with usb attachment and flash drive

Quote:
Seems by inspection that #8 has grooves on the cylinder wall from a failed piston ring

Quote:
I would suspect someone has been dosing this unit with gogo juice in effort to get it started at some point

Looks like we have a winner!

• 3 weeks later...

Brad, rather than back the rockers off, it is important to run the piston to TDC - partly because backing the rockers off could mask a concern with valve geometry - and partly because the cylinder wears more at the top of the stroke than at the bottom. TDC sees the highest pressures. I realize that this sounds borderline anal.... but the last thing any of us needs to do is lie to ourselves....