oil leaks

Rate this topic

It will boil down to a shops willingness to risk bodily harm to their employees ... and that shops employees willigness to do themselves bodily harm.

Why do I need to constantly remind some guys about appropriate footwear, coveralls and other PPE (fire department speak for personal protective equipment).

The AC flush machine... I had the shop purchase a chemical mask with the appropriate filters.... goggles.... rubber gloves... few wear the gear and nobody... not one fucking person has asked to see the MSDS sheets for the flush chemical.

Safety is a commitment that ALL parties need to make... It's not up to Ford... Here in Alberta we have WCB as the fianl agency... but before it gets to the WCB, each and every one of us needs to take an active role in safe workplace practices...

Or... we can spend what days we have left blaming someone else...

Jim, I wasn't Implying that Safety should be Ford's commitment. I was Implying that allot of dealerships are just "Too Plain Fucking Ignorant" to give a Fuck about the safety factor in having proper equipment like this. And I was getting at the fact that Ford would have to make these tools "Mandatory" tools before allot of these fucking dealerships would even consider reaching into their pockets to buy the proper equipment.

Just an observation: I haven't seen you wear all that gear for A/C flush machine either.

Dwayne... I agree that there are shops that take a cavalier stance on employee safety... this is why we have Workmens Compensation Board. As employees, we owe it to ourselves, our workmates and our employers to treat workplace safety as the important facet it is...

To do things we consider unsafe and then grumble under our breath about it serves no purpose. Somebody is going to get hurt and then there is going to be a law suit... We can't just leave it up to Ford OR the employer... we need to be proactive about this stuff, too.

That's true in alot of situations. But when a tech has to start buying shop equipment that "SHOULD" be bought by the shop, well that's just plain friggin wrong and downright friggin cheap which justifies a technician to find a new employer. No Ford diesel tech should ever have to buy a friggin proper engine stand. That is just downright fuckin wrong!

Who had to buy an engine stand?

Whoops... my bad... I see it now... flat rate reading get a guy every time...

Worst comes to worst, having the engine "accidentally" fall should help.... but before things got to that point, I would think that the WCB in the Republic of BC works about the same as here...

You're employer cannot expect you to do anything that is either unsafe or illegal...

I think it boils down to the fact that the upper managment of most dealerships has almost 0 experience in a service dept, let alone a shop environment. (And, i am thinking very hard about changing employers here promptly. Put out a resume last week.)

Chris... what is more ignorant than having to buy your own stand is the other tech thinking he could use it (comes pretty big from a guy whose tool box is more like a tool crib than anything else Posted Image ) automatically.

Before we modified our large engine stand to the side pads, Kyle did a couple or three bedplates by laying the engine downside up on a portable work bench. Not the most convenient way to do it but safer than trying to hang it from a "skyhook".

We've never had getting equipment we can justify and I was the same when I was in my own shop... I guess I'm kinda spoiled.

I absolutely hate doing things with out the correct equiptment, but i also try very hard to correctly repair every vehicle I touch. I cant handle "not being able to do the job". Its hard to explain to the customer that the dealer isnt equiped to repair the vehicle the dealer sold them. We are going thru this with a customer with a (6.0l) cube van that he bought from our store. Our shop doors are a little under 9 feet high. No cube vans fit in. Now he is having problems with it, and we cant work on it. He is threatening to sue.....I stay out of it at this point, as i agree with him. We are also dealing with a worn out hoist, that lifts crooked, wont lock, and a few other wear related problems. The pos is 19 years old, and managments response is, it'll cost HOW MUCH to replace?

The cost is just simply the damned cost of doing business. If you don't invest into your business, shit will literally fall apart and you will have nothing left to work with.

Don't you guys love it when you hear on the radio commercials when dealerships claim that have all the latest state of the art equipment. I used to laugh my ass off at that one.

Quote:
Don't you guys love it when you hear on the radio commercials when dealerships claim that have all the latest state of the art equipment. I used to laugh my ass off at that one.

Yeah, i get a good laugh out of that one, almost daily.

You can't work without tools. This includes both shop and personal tools. So Why do shop tools not get the respect that personal tools get? There is nothing worse than looking for a shop tool only to find out it is missing or broken. As far as I am concerned any tool that is broken is being used incorrectly, and as far as lost tools go, you wouldn't walk away from that $50.00 Snap On socket that just fell in the sewer if you paid for it, but if the shop is paying, well who cares. Tools are a 2 way street. The shop has a RESPONSIBILITY to supply adequate shop equipment, the tech has a RESPONSIBILITY to use them with respect.

Most of the shop "equiptment" is worn out, the majority of it being over 20 years old. They squeak about replacing it as it wears out, but then we need to add or upgrade new stuff as well. They have no forsite to plan and save for this i guess. If i go to them and say we need something, i get looked at like im a whiner. I dont even bother anymore.

Anyway... You guys don't pull the intake? I think I might try that next time. maybe that's why this job always takes me too long.

To answer the original question, I have seen a lot of these things leak like that.

Don't pull the turbo either - pull the cab bolts, jack the front of the cab up high enough to put a 4x4 block between frame and cab, pull lower oil pan, pull engine - put on stand, perform bedplate reseal (be sure to use silicone on beadplate seals per SSM 20714.

20714 DIESEL LOWER CRANKCASE SEAL UPDATED SERVICE PROCEDURE

THE WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES FOR 4.5L/6.0L/6.4L DIESEL ENGINE EQUIPPED VEHICLES FOR REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF THE LOWER CRANKCASE SEAL HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO INCLUDE NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PROPER INSTALLATION OF A THIN FILM OF MOTORCRAFT GASKET MAKER (TA-16) TO THE UPPER AND LOWER CRANKCASE GROOVES OF THE BLOCK AND BEDPLATE PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE CRANKCASE SEAL. REFER TO THE ON-LINE WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 303-01C FOR THE REVISED PROCEDURES.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/30/2009

Been doing it this way for a couple years! Can have one done in 11-12 hours and running back down the road!!!!

They've been doing this on reman engines for several years now.

Don't pull the turbo either - pull the cab bolts, jack the front of the cab up high enough to put a 4x4 block between frame and cab, pull lower oil pan, pull engine - put on stand, perform bedplate reseal (be sure to use silicone on beadplate seals per SSM 20714.

20714 DIESEL LOWER CRANKCASE SEAL UPDATED SERVICE PROCEDURE

THE WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES FOR 4.5L/6.0L/6.4L DIESEL ENGINE EQUIPPED VEHICLES FOR REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF THE LOWER CRANKCASE SEAL HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO INCLUDE NEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PROPER INSTALLATION OF A THIN FILM OF MOTORCRAFT GASKET MAKER (TA-16) TO THE UPPER AND LOWER CRANKCASE GROOVES OF THE BLOCK AND BEDPLATE PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE CRANKCASE SEAL. REFER TO THE ON-LINE WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 303-01C FOR THE REVISED PROCEDURES.

EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/30/2009

Been doing it this way for a couple years! Can have one done in 11-12 hours and running back down the road!!!!

They've been doing this on reman engines for several years now.

You don't remove the body? You pull the engine out the front? I might try that too.