Its about time...Factory remote start.

Rate this topic

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ready-for-Winter-Ford-Adds-prnews-2776699520.html?x=0&.v=1

Strange just today at coffee we were saying how Ford really needs to do this.

No shit that's strange. It's about freakin time. Next thing customers will demand though, is a noodle steamer. Posted Image

Have you guys seen the quality of these "factory installed" remotes?

There's a topic on Inford right now. Several GCR's submitted from my workstation. Wiring slashed all to hell, hood switches not installed, etc, etc.

Have you guys seen the quality of these "factory installed" remotes?

There's a topic on Inford right now. Several GCR's submitted from my workstation. Wiring slashed all to hell, hood switches not installed, etc, etc.

those may say Ford on them but they are not "factory". These ones are not those spliced in garbage units your used to seeing.

They're saying it can control the heat/ ac and shit it sounds like they are finally allowing the module network to start and control the vehicle remotely. We all know they are capable. See how they now are claiming that idling your vehicle for 5 or ten minutes before driving will reduce emissions by warming catalytics. What a backflip from everthing weve been taught!

Oh yeah, i was talking to Rick Christie at a course in calgary last week, about the "factory" remote start issues. He said crown automotive (same guys that do the police cars) is doing the installs. He personaly dealt with it, talked to the ceo or whatever from there, they back traced to what shifts they were being done on and people did get fired over the whole shit show. Still brutal, that many made it out. What about the ones we wont see unitl 60k plus?

I won't consider it "factory installed" until it is designed into the vehicle and installed as an option during assembly at the plant. That means the module and wiring is PART OF THE VEHICLE. This might also lead to being able to ADD THE SYSTEM at the dealer in similar fashion as say the upfitter switches and the integrated trailer brake controls system. Mount the module and plug in a harness type of deal or even INTEGRATE the remote start with one of the modules like the smart junction block or the vehicle security module which would be the most cost effective and easiest way to do it. Posted Image

This is so easy its stupid!

With the "smart key" technology (push button start) that we now have, integrating a remote strt into the works is about all they can do to retain market share. Ford states quite plainly that current remote starts will not work with smart key.

Unfortunately this is also bringing some electronic baggage that many will not appreciate... Anyone that has had to deal with turn signal malfunctions on a 09ish half ton or such will understand this part.

FWIW, who doesn't think it strange that you now need to clear codes after a bulb replacement?

At least the bulb will work.

On an Odge, post '06, if the SJB (mopar uses different terminology) detects a fault, say a blown headlight bulb. (exploded)

The box disables that lamp, normally it's similar to the Ford, replace the bulb and clear the code. But, if the bulb shorts during the explosion, it takes the whole $600 box with it, then the box, reprogramming and whatnot is required.

For some Ford models... If the SJB detects a blown bulb ( and "undercurrent" situation) it will command that turn signal side to flash at about twice the normal rate. If you replace the bulb, it will flash... but the "twice the normal" rate still applies.... up until you clear the SJB codes...

Similarly, the multifunction switch no longer turns on the turn signal lamps. Instead, it sends a request to the SJB.. The headlight switch is the same... Our diagnostic strategy must be decided by the system we face... We need, so very badly, to be on our toes....

Often, I still get "that look" from a lot of people...

I reserve the right to say "I fucking told you so...".

What is really sad..... some of these "hot fixes" were available in the smae places Rex was looking... But we're above that, right?

Quote:
FWIW, who doesn't think it strange that you now need to clear codes after a bulb replacement?

Sounds like a dodge... uhh ohh.

I think it should be designed into the gem or sjb as well. As for an option, why not be able to turn it on with the ids for a small(realistic) fee.

Well the setting of the parameters could be worth a fee but only for your labor... and what about people wanting to upgrade after the fact and try to "add" it in sneaky fashion by having the option added on the sly?

Make a separate key fob as the option and price them at a few hundred bucks, charge the customer for the module configuration pay the tech time to enable the feature, program the fobs and check the system.