Mercon LV

Rate this topic

I meant to bring this up when the Hot Sheet was put out and I forgot, today my Motorcraft distributor was asking me about this. Apparently info on this new trans fluid is scarce?

Apparently it can be used in place of Mercon SP and is compatible (can be mixed) and MUST now be used in place of SP on all Torqshift transmission repairs under warranty. There is no mention that Mercon Sp is to be discontinued.

I am also wondering if this fluid is for the new transmission coming in the 2011 Super Duty?

Anyone?

Buhler?

Buhler?

Anyone?

LV was used in late model Focus automatics. The bulletin that I saw did not say that LV was to be used in all warranty repairs, only that it can be used in the place of SP, and can be mixed, or used to top up. So I went to the 2009 SD WSM and at the beginning of the specification section it calls for LV trans fluid, and in bold letters says that V, LV, and SP and not interchangable. Are we confused yet?

Here's from Motorcraft's site.

It seems that M5 and MLV are the latest and greatest for most of Ford's trannys.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/atf.pdf

I've been using that site for a while to make sure our place uses the right stuff in all the various Ford vehicles we service.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref.asp

Hmmm Posted Image

150K interval????? Does this mean Ford will cover these transmissions for that amount of mileage????? What about filters? Transmissions still use friction discs and drive plates. Do they not wear anymore? How many have pulled pans down to see all of the metal and debris in the pans?

Posted Image

Memory stuff happening.,...

Look at the trans dipstick on 09 SD.... It will spec Mercon LV... There was a broadcast message telling us that you could mix LV and SP in a TorqueShift... No mention of (IIRC) the 6R75 that also specs Merocn SP... or the 6R80 that already specs LV... or why, for so many years we couldn't mix Mercon/Dexron 3 with Mercon V - at least up until we are getting out of the Mercon/Dexron 3 business and it suddenly becomes "OK"....

Transmissions have come a long way.... They are still simply a group of friction elements.... But electronics play such a huge part in their operation.... I can only say that if you can't diagnose an automatic trans concern, you best refrain from commenting on the operation of the trans... Trading the age old valve body for solenoid bodies should simplify diagnostics (and it does)... but it can't turn an idiot into a genius...

After that long ago Mercon V TSB.. many techs abdicated their responsibility.... We don't need to check OASIS again.

Truth of the matter is... if you aren't checking OASIS on fucking near everything you do.... you can (and will) have a rude awakening...

OH, yes... I have some supreme shit happening... because common sense ain't common.. but flat rate reading is....

I did a trans service on a torqueshift the other day and used the LV fluid and it raised the price of the service $70.00. If it's supposed to last 150,000 miles it would be worth it. But if someone towing with it and they overheat it will it break down like regular trans fluid and need to be replaced sooner than 150,000 miles?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what's in the sauce, but had 2008 E450 come in for transmission service(LV) last week and back on hook today with planetary failure. Major KABOOM.