3.0 Escape cats...

Rate this topic

Fredsvt

2002 Escape.

Lady was driving it on the Parkway at about 80, MIL on, running rough with 4 people in it. It started to slow. She went to her destination. On way home, 35 miles away, it continued to slow, then she smelled "burning plastic". She managed to get it to our shop going about 15, foot to floor.

I take a look at it, fire it up and hear an awful noise.

The EGR valve melted a 1" long hole by about 1/2 wide, and nearly set the master cylinder reservoir on fire. She was very lucky that it was 20 degrees outside the day it happened.

Scanning revealed a misfire P0305.

I pulled the Y pipe down, and found the front cat burned through and it's remains blocked the main under body cat.

Is this really that common that our local Ford dealer keeps stock of front and rear and the under body cat?

They declined the fix, as it would be close to 2 grand when all done. He's (the woman's son) going to "fix" it himself.

As the a-hole leaves in a brand new Hummer H2. His attitude was just grand. He drove it out of the lot, at 15 mph, hopefully it did burn to the ground.

If I could recount the number of times I've been told "It's only my wifes car" or "Its only my Moms car" when trying to negotiate a substandard repair.... All I can ever do is shake my head and ask "Is that how you want to treat your <close relative>?

We can assume that the car will either wind up in the hands of someone that will substitute aftermarket parts yet wind up costing more than a "front line" repair... or an unscrupulous shop or well meaning but cheap assed relative will empty out the cats.

Either way... it should add some punctuation to my insistent call to overhaul our industry.

As for hooping anyone good.... mayhaps we should rethink ourselves...

I have noticed out all of fords stable, that the escape is more suseptable to cat damage with even the slightest misfire. It's kinda like the old 3.8's are more prone to rod bearing failure with antifreeze in the oil compared to other ford products.

I have seen a run of those converters here lately...last one needed all three of them. Not cheap.

We had a lease return that we were trying to send to auction that nobody could figure out... whistling noise, no power, etc, etc. I walked by and said "Sounds like it's got a plugged converter!" and just kept on walking.

Sure enough... LOL