Fuel Economy

Rate this topic

Has anyone heard what the fuel economy should be? When I first heard that this engine uses reductant to clean the exhaust, I just assumed that it won't be a fuel pig like the 6.4L.

The WBT mentions that it will still use fuel injectors to fire on the exhaust stroke to warm up the DPF. Is this engine supposed to use less fuel for the cleaning process?

I'm waitlisted to take the class, and looking forward to it.

The propeganda sheets I have read claim good economy, lets hope so. This truck is capable of a passive regen, so that should help. If it can use less egr to control nox because of the scr system then the exhaust temps should be higher out of the head and reduce the need for active regen. I think Volvo heavy truck is claiming they rely strictly on passive regen, so it is possible.

The propeganda sheets I have read claim good economy, lets hope so. This truck is capable of a passive regen, so that should help. If it can use less egr to control nox because of the scr system then the exhaust temps should be higher out of the head and reduce the need for active regen. I think Volvo heavy truck is claiming they rely strictly on passive regen, so it is possible.

What do you consider good fuel economy? I get between 16-20 mixed cycle driving everyday. It has gotten worse lately with lengthy warmups in the morning and lots of idling during the day. That is a old P356 crew cab 3.73 4x4(no tcase)with a powertrain transplant. I think the 473's are slightly better with optimized axle ratios and aero improvements.

I am not sure what you guys mean by passive regen. If you mean regen without post injection then you won't see much unloaded. I run around 250C on the highway which is way too low for passive. Volvo can probably get away with it because their customers are always loaded so the exhaust temps are high enough. Regen frequency should be better than the 356's but I wouldn't say there is less egr than before. The SCR is not a be-all-end-all solution. I can be driving down highway converting 99.9 percent of the NOx and decide to whip out and pass somebody. Shortly after I start pedaling in the juice the aftertreatment efficiency goes down. We have to make sure the feedgas levels are low or we won't make the strict emission targets.

Quote:
you won't see much unloaded

Thats the problem. As grocery getters they probly wont do so well. We may find they get as good of mileage loaded as they do empty. ( if they are capable of passsive regen when loaded and worked HARD)

What do you consider good fuel economy? I get between 16-20 mixed cycle driving everyday.

I would consider that good fuel economy. I think a lot of 6.4L owners get 9-10 MPG, and I think that's pretty bad.

Passive regen is without post injection. Unloaded or idling, lack of exhaust heat will be a problem, especially here when it is 30 below and they are idling all day. I remind people that when they idle they get 0 mpg. The doc will create some heat for dpf, but unloaded I doubt it will be enough. I hope that one thing the scr will do is reduce the amount of egr required, increasing the in cylinder temperatures and therefore increasing exhaust temperatures. I guess we will find out soon enough. I am trying to be optomistic, by my realistic side is saying otherwise.

Of the 6.4s I service I see every one but 1 at 7.8 mpg average on the display. The drivers never reset it, so it's over the life of the truck so far. These are 3 F550 drill rig trucks.

The last 1, is constantly idled, much against what I've told them, it has a avg mpg of 4.5. This is a F350 utility body.

Now that's awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Proud to be Ukrainian

A recent study conducted by Kiev University found that the average Ukrainian walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study by the Ukrainian Medical Association found that Ukrainian men drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.

This means, on average, Ukrainians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind Of Makes You Proud To Be Ukrainian!

Whats your mileage???

LOL. I had it emailed to me. And being that I am of Ukranian descent, I just had to share this little bit of humor.

I don't think my mileage is quite that efficient though. I'm more like an alcohol powered funny car. Posted Image

Surprisingly, I'll bet you a buck 85 that Dwayne is a meat and taters kinda guy....

I'm from the auld sod ( Britain ) but there are times I like to settle in for a good feed of holupchi....

My best friend is a bohunk (obviously, I can call him that because he IS my best friend) and I often help him with his sideline catering business.... A full cours dinner for 200 or 300 would be "average".

Anyway.... this guy has all of his Grandmothers recipes.....

And they would send anyone with a name ending in "ski" to orgasmic heights....

F*ck... now I want a bowl of borscht....

• 2 months later...

Back to fuel economy,I'm in Detroit training center now(Allen Park)for the 6.7L class. The two instructors I know here tell me on a trip to Cincinnati Oh. for a train the trainer class, driving hard while making recordings for the class they averaged 17.8 mpg Posted Imagesounds pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been averaging 18.5mpg in my CC/SB 4x4 3.55. I took one of the other trucks home today(RC/LB 4x2 3.31) and got almost 27mpg on the same cycle. 50 miles total, mostly highway with plenty of 45/60mph slowdowns for construction(Thanks MDOT). Thats with a production cal with regen off so it wouldnt screw up my mileage.

With the 3.31 truck you can cruise just above 40mph on the back roads and the engine is right at 1000rpm. If I get a chance I want to run some miles that way and see what I can squeeze out of it.