Regulator Noise

Rate this topic

I just installed the updated fuel pressure regulator in a customer's truck with part number 3C3Z-9T517-AG. He returned this morning concerned about a repeating noise under the hood that seems to be coming from the secondary filter housing. I placed my hand on the housing and could feel it vibrate when the noise occurs. As we discussed here the blue spring in the kit supposedly regulates fuel to a higher pressure, I am wondering if this is a normal characteristic of this regulator and if anyone else has noticed this concern.

I've put maybe four or five of them in and I haven't had that problem.

I put an aftermarket stiffer spring on my 7.3 and it boosted the pressure to 90 psi and my pump makes a pulsing noise with the key on engine off because it's working to hard. I need to trim the spring down to lower my pressure. Did you check the pressure after you put it in? Maybe the spring isn't seated in the cover correctly causing to much pressure, I had that happen once.

The customer had to take his truck to get to work so I need to get it back into the shop. I contacted the Hot-Line and they agree it is not normal... first I need to retest the pressure. Maybe a filter issue, stand-pipe or banjo bolts/check valves at the head were suggested.

I HAD ONE ONCE WHERE THE SPRING WASN'T SEATED IN THE HOUSING PROPERLY THAT ANOTHER TECH HAD JUST INSTALLED AS KEITH(FORDRACER) SUGGESTED, MADE A FUNNY NOISE, AND PRESSURE WAS, IIRC, AROUND 150 PSI. REPLACED THE SPRING SINCE IT WAS NOW BENT IN A FUNNY SHAPE AND PROBLEM WAS GONE.

NOTE: THIS WAS ON THE OLD STYLE REGULATOR, BUT I WOULD IMAGINE YOU COULD DO THE SAME WITH THE NEW, I HAVEN'T HAD THE PLEASURE OF DEALING WITH THE UPDATED ONE.

So it's not an o-ring, but a noise insulator Posted Image

I wonder what the longevity of that o-ring will be if that regulator seat moves around enough for it to nibble away at it.