Stumped !

Rate this topic

I have a 08 F-350 6.4 that was towed in the other day for a complaint of a sudden loud noise while driving. Found two of the three starter bolts missing and the starter covered in oil and flopping around. Re-secured it and no-change. I inspected the ring gear and flex plate as best I could thru the inspection hole but found no smoking gun. I thought it sounded like the plunger was hanging up so I replaced the starter and the noise remains. I was thinking that I may have overlooked the flex plate for sure. I lowered the truck down and it sounds like the noise is comming from the HP turbo area. There is a decent size oil leak from the HP drain tube.

The pitch of the noise is so bad that I cant even isolate it with a stethascope. I did notice upon insp before repair that cust has gone 15k miles since last oil change. The oil looks like crap but is at the proper level. Vech has codes for HP fuel system of p0003 and p0091. According to oasis repair history there have been no repairs done to the truck that may have led to the starter being removed and or left loose. I was really confused as to why the starter would come loose and have a noise that seems unrelated. Thats as far as I got before the weekend but it has been eating me up thinking I have two weird concerns or totally mis-diaged this thing so far. I was going to check crankshaft end play and also command the vgt to see it the noise changes tomorrow morning. Thank you for any help or suggestions

We saw one through the shop a while back, another tech was working on it, but I had the chance to put my ear on it to confirm his thoughts since it was such an odd noise, replaced the LP (fixed vane) turbo only to find the noise was still there. After some questioning of hotline and more investigation, found # 3 intake lobe on camshaft was ground off, he ended up having to put in a short block.