Who killed the electric car

Rate this topic

Tony302600

Ya they sure were great lol. Ever work on, or drove a Think? The EV1 was not really any better. Ever wonder what all that nickel in the Toyota hybrids does to the environment. Do a little research, its nasty. There are externalities for everything. Right now there is a huge demand for energy dense small size electrical storage at just about any marketable cost and still we can’t yet get there from here. The death of the EV1 was just a small road bump on the path to the future. The internal combustion also killed the electric car back at the beginning of the 1900’s.

I agree, I think the idea behind an electric car is a viable temporary "alternative" but in the end, the electricity needed to recharge the batteries needs to come from somewhere (not talking about hybrid technology here) and the batteries themselves are TERRIBLE for the environment.. so it's kind of a double edged sword.

I think that hydrogen fuel cell technology is somthing that's a very, very potentially world-changing concept. We just need to find a way to make any decent power with it or it just won't ever catch on. Ford had a concept hydrogen truck with a SUPERCHARGED 3-valve 6.8 V-10 and I think it barely made 300 HP (I could be wrong though). But at the end of the day, it runs on the most available molecules on our planet and it's only emission is water.

I think that if we'd been driving electric cars for the last hundred years, and some hillbilly showed up with blueprints for an internal combustion engine, we would be hailing it as a new era in automotive technology and the best thing since sliced bread.

So where does electricity come from? The wall? Nope-probably coal, natural gas, or nuclear. None of which will win any awards from Greenpeace. It is just a matter of out of sight out of mind. I remember driving through Montana and you could tell when you were getting close to the big coal fired powerplant that was there because all the vegetation was stunted. I used to be a hydrogen guy too, but you have to produce hydrogen, and this requires energy, just like anything else. Plus it's energy density is poor, so you will have a hard time getting any decent range from it.

If you look at the big picture, all of the energy on this planet comes from the sun in one form or another. They guy who figures out an efficent way to capture and store this energy will win the prize, and pv solar panels ain't it. All this battery electric biz is going to be a disaster once they get some miles on them. You should see the hybrid cabs around here already.

Yes, oil has to go, but electric isn't the answer.

OK, rant over.