noise 99 7.3L F350 automatic

Rate this topic

I am working on a 99 F350 7.3L automatic trans with a bearing type noise that is very loud in the bell housing area - truck is equipped with a plow. can not hear the noise at all in the engine or the valve body of the trans - just wanted to know if anybody has come across this before. Thanks for your time Scott

TSB 99-3-5 addresses this concern. I have attached a copy of the TSB. Basically you can either install the breakout box and ground pin #54 with the transmission in PARK or place the transmission in drive, firmly press the brake pedal and slowly bring the engine RPM's up. If the noise goes away using either method the torque converter is the source of the noise. There are still a lot of these rattling trucks out there and once you know the sound you can recognize it from hundreds of feet away.

Odd this should come up. Just this morning I was handed a ticket line 1 was a trans svc I heard the converter was noisy and the fluid was not real dirty so I went to the writer and asked him what was up, he called the customer who said he noticed the noise getting louder and thought a fluid svc would help.. Posted Image..On the plus side I upsold the trans scv to a new converter Posted Image