04 f250 WIF and WTS

Rate this topic

Got an 04 f250 that comes in with the complaint of engine cutting out sometimes stalling and when it happens the wait to start illuminates and the water in fuel does as well.Im guessing that im shorting v-ref somewhere and its causing the pcm to temp reset.I checked the most obvious sensors.The EBP and the ICP.Both look like they have had new connectors heat shrinked in at some point.But found no obvious signs of a short.My questions are,Can the sensors themself actually short vref???Has anyone found some not so obvious sensors circuits shorting???Any help always appreciated

A 2004 cutting out randomly? PCM reset? I would start poking around at the fuel injection harness - literally. Looky Here

I still have some thick wooden dowels I use to push on the harness. The early 2004 engines had issues with the FICM harness and I am guessing you missed the recall and the fun. I imagine there are still a few trucks running around with the funky harness in them... I haven't seen one in quite a while now.

Yes i did miss that Keith.I will def check tommarow.Bruce how would a faulty GPCM cause this concern and why?Keith why would a chaffe in that location cause these 2 lights to illuminate.I dont like just changing parts guys.I like to know why.So excuse my questions if they seem stupid.Like my sig says ASSET grad.So bare with me!

Rob I am assuming that the lights come on after the engine stalls or bucks as with a PCM reset which is like turning the ignition off then back on. If this is the case then the lights should illuminate as if they are proving out.

Bruce's suggestion is valid and a faulty GPCM can cause a PCM reset as well. The GPCM, like ALL of the engine actuators including use the same VPWR circuit and a short in this circuit will pull the voltage down and momentarily shut off the PCM.

Look at the wiring schematic for the GPCM and follow VPWR circuit all the way back to the PCM relay taking note of all the actuators it is connected to.

Thanks Keith, i thought only a short to vref would cause the momentary reset of the pcm.Good to know.Im at work now and im going to check those chaffe spots you showed me with the link.

Keith took a long screwdriver and poked right where the harness lays over that intake manifold bolt and guess what!Truck shut right off!

Keith took a long screwdriver and poked right where the harness lays over that intake manifold bolt and guess what! Truck shut right off!

There you go! Install an few fuel injector harness and it will be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Brad Clayton
Well thats an easy fix, get that manifold bolt right outta there! Posted Image

You owe me a new keyboard bitch! Posted Image And a fresh Dr. Pepper too!