TSB 10-12-1

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Anyone see this yet? I attached it for quick viewing. It's about testing tap water for hardness, pH and Chloride to determine if it is safe to use in cooling systems. Another test strip kit. Who is using tap water and who is using something else in bottles?

Here, in the Republic of Alberta, I am not aware of anyone that uses distilled water in cooling systems...

A lloooonnngggg time ago, someone once asked me "why would you give your car better water than you drink?".

I keep my vehicles longer than some (admittedly with almost nothing for miles on them) and I don't see any issues from using our tapwater.. ditto on high mile customer units - occasionally a bit of calcification or what have you but that's usually on systems that are never serviced until something breaks.

I'd like to see Ford release pre-mixed antifreeze with distilled water already mixed in. It seems impractical for every dealer to have a water processing plant for doing cooling system services.

Called warranty hotline today -- they said they would pay for distilled water on warranty repairs.

More than likely though, you will need to provide the test results of your tap water, first. Then call in for a Prior Approval.

Posted Image

And with him, will come a guy from the Ministry of the Environment to supervise the test and be sure it's done properly.

I'm gonna bring my old water softener in and put it beside my toolbox, label it "SUPER DUTY COOLING SYSTEM FILL STATION" Posted Image

Either that, or build a still... copper lines, and tanks, and a sterno heater... oh shit that would be funny.

"Makin' whiskey?"

"Nope, just filling up the cooling system on your truck, sir!"

There is an extremely sharp national trainer in Ft. Wayne, Indiana by the name of Randy Dillman, whose expertise lies in Euro cars first and Domestic/Asian second. He's an incredibly smart guy whose abilites with a scope and a five gas are beyond anyone else's I know. Randy has investigated coolants, coolant PH, tap water and all of it's impurities from an automotive standpoint like nobody I've ever known. Randy did tap water testing in NE Indiana to compare PH and impurities and found that the water changed virtually from day to day at locations he tested. If it changes that much in Indiana, it probably changes that much everywhere else. I did supply some of his training info to Keith a while back, if anyone has a keen interest in this topic, let me know.

If you use the strips, you will need to use them every time you fill a radiator.

I do know several shops that use distilled water in cooling systems, and I recommend it in class. When I had the shop I used pre-mixed to avoid the problem, and I still use pre-mixed. They "claim" pre-mixed uses distilled........

Posted Image