01 Exursion Oil Pan

Rate this topic

I always got a lot of shit from the guys because I *always* did 7.3 pans an a long process of yanking the engine and mounting it on a stand, flipping it upside-down, changing the pan, and then letting it sit and cure (upside-down) overnight.

It may not have been the fastest method but I never once worried about it leaking after I was done.

Dave

That is the way I have always done them. But I concede that I have not done one now in quite a while. These trucks are aging and a lot more is rusted on them here in New Jersey. In fact, some are so damn rusty ANYTHING you touch wither falls apart or rounds off. The fuel supply lines are also highly susceptible to rust.

Hey Keith

The last oil pan I did on a 2003 7.3 needed the following replaced due to rust:

All P/S lines

Trans cooler lines and radiator as the fittings were rotted all the way to the plastic tank.

Fuel supply lines AND flex lines that were frozen to the supply lines.

Engine mounts, nuts rusted to studs and snapped.

2 exhaust manifolds and all bolts, rotted horrible.

2 up pipes, bolts and the inlet adapter as it broke when taking out the bolts for the up pipe flanges.

Every CT hose clamp was changed too.

This particular truck has never seen a plow or even winter usage, it sits a lot as the guy uses only to pull a utility trailer. He lives about 2 blocks from the ocean It had 75k on it last fall when I did it.

You can imagine what it cost, and the guy just wrote the check, no problem.

Is it me, or do the newer vehicles, not just Fords seem to rot like hell, in places that I don't ever remember seeing rot. The outer bodies look great, but in certain places they're awful.