Water-Check H2O Test Strips

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Recently Ford released TSB 10-12-1 (attached) which recommends testing your tap water to determine if it is suitable for use in heavy duty cooling systems. And I got laughed at in training for suggesting this might be a problem. Posted Image

We finally ordered a box, part number 328-00007 which comes a a sell pack of 25 or 50 packets each containing 5 test strips and an instruction card. I don't need all of these as I need only test my water once or twice... we will probably sell the rest from our retail counter.

Well, the test result for Morristown's water failed for hardness and chloride. Now I have sufficient ammunition to finally get my parts dept to find and supply distilled water in bulk.

I am starting to think that the SMARTEST way for Ford to have addressed this is to just make available a no-mix coolant that is made from suitable water and be done with it. Posted Image

Keith you are not the only one that has been laughed out of somewhere for the suggestion of using distilled water when servicing cooling systems. When I service the cooling system in my own vehicles I only flush and fill with distilled water. However you cant convince the guys in the office of this, I understand there is a lot of work involved in setting up a part number and location, to store water. Clean water is no different than using clean oil or fuel. But is somewhat hypocritical of us to preach one thing and than do the other because it is cheaper, or pain in the butt to pour water in gallon jugs instead of just turning on the hose. In the cat world we live and breathe contamination control and the importance of clean fluids. In my opinion water in our cooling systems should be no different. I wonder if someone can order the part number over the counter?

I'm going to drag my old water softener in and put it beside my toolbox, and hook it up to the water tap.

Failing that, I'm gonna get a bunch of copper and some Sterno burners and build an actual still right beside my bay.

Look like a moonshine making bootleggin' rig.

Awesome will occur.