didnt take long..Gas in a 6.7L

Rate this topic

Honey you go fill the truck i gotta take a big shit...famous last words. now i have a 11 with a fine blend of gas/diesel. i have a list of parts to replace but am looking for any ideas on labour time to replace all of it. only warranty time i have found is injectors at 4 hr.

why wouldnt a person just clean the tank and fill with diesel?

Because we make less money off of someone else's stupidity if that's all we do. Posted Image

Had a bucket truck hauled in the other day and contractor stated the gas hand was on empty when they put close to 40 gallons in the truck.Charged 2 hours to pump it out and ran the fuel I pulled out in my old toyota.Got me back and forth to work for many weeks with no issues.Other techs in shop said I was crazy for putting it in my own vehicle.About a week later they were asking if they could have some.Betcha know what I told them.F U.

why wouldnt a person just clean the tank and fill with diesel?

Recently, there was another broadcast message about gasoline in a diesel truck - I may still have it in print in my "library" at work.

Additionally, SVB 2010-48N (this is a Ford Canada thing but I am sure that the US techs have an equivalent) covers gasoline in diesel engines.

Now... you can simply drain the tank and refill it.... as long as you start a CUDL to cancel the engine warranty on the unit.

Why on earth would you want to do that? Simple. A pump like this stands a better than even chance of failing after it is treated to a product that doesn't lubricate it on it's way through. If the pump fails, it can take out the engine. Ergo, should Ford have to pay because some dude had to take a shit and sent his wife to fuel up the truck (when we all know the dude likely fucked up his own self).

But the fact remains... none of us wants to warranty "stupid"... we shouldn't expect Ford to warranty it either.

Having said all that, I present, for your reading pleasure...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Subject: 2008 - 2011 Super Duty equipped with the 6.4L or 6.7L Diesel Engine – Gasoline or other non-diesel fuels added to the fuel tank.

The following are the recommended repair directions when vehicle operators inadvertently add gasoline, other fluids or non-diesel fuel to the fuel tank.

Fuel Tank filled with Gasoline or other non-diesel fuels and the truck HAS been run:

If a 2008 - 2011 Super Duty, equipped with the diesel engine has been filled with other than the correct diesel fuel, and has been driven, it is now recommended to perform the following:

1. Drain the fuel tank, dispose of the contaminated diesel fuel in an appropriate manner in conjunction with local laws and regulations.

2. Fill with fresh clean good quality diesel fuel.

3. Use the Low Pressure Fuel Pump to flush fresh clean diesel into the fuel system.*

4. Replace the fuel filters (primary and secondary filters).

5. Replace ALL High Pressure fuel system components; High Pressure Fuel Pump, fuel lines (from fuel cooler to pump and also from fuel rails to injectors), fuel rails and ALL 8 injectors.

6. Use the fuel cooler bleed procedure in order to get the vehicle started.

7. Change Oil and Filter and perform the High Pressure Fuel System test to verify for leaks, repair as necessary.

Fuel Tank filled with Gasoline or other non-diesel fuels and the truck has NOT been run:

1. Drain the fuel tank, dispose of the contaminated diesel fuel in an appropriate manner in conjunction with local laws and regulations.

2. Fill with fresh clean good quality diesel fuel.

3. Replace the fuel filters (primary and secondary filters).

4. Use the Low Pressure Fuel Pump to flush fresh clean diesel into the fuel system.*

* Note: Procedure required to properly flush the fuel system:

· Remove the rear Fuel Cooler Line that comes from the High Pressure Pump at the Fuel Cooler.

· Cut a 1/2" length of 3/8" rubber hose to seal the banjo bolt when re-installing into the Fuel Cooler without the fuel line attached.

· Place a larger hose over the return fuel line in order to direct the fuel into a suitable container.

· Use Active Commands or Cycle the key to allow the fuel pump to flush the lines.

· Plugging the Fuel Cooler during this process will prevent air from being introduced into the High Pressure Fuel System causing a no start.

Failure to follow these procedures may result in fuel system and or engine damage. Repairs required due to use of improper fluids and fuel, are not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. See Warranty and Policy Manual and Customer Information Guide for details.

Questions

For questions relating to:

Technical Information and Diagnostics – OASIS Shop Manual and Dearborn Technical Hotline (SVB 2010-32)

Service Publications and Diagnostic Software/Hardware Support – Technical Information Support (SVB 2010-32)

Owner Guide Ordering and Distribution – Helm Inc. (SVB 2010-21)

Reporting New Model and other Vehicle Concerns – Submit Global Concern Report (GCR) (SVB 2010-33)

It was driven till it quit. It is getting the full meal deal and for once I get to take something apart for the first time and get paid retail for it! We on average this year have been getting one a month with gas in diesel all but one were driven. And agreed why should Ford pay for anything or future repair. I would never send it down the road for one of my fellow Diesel techs to get charged back ie a HP pump replacement cause ford says there was signs of gas in pump. A very expensive lesson!

Like Mike is inferring (Hi, Mike... Mike and I've been to at leasta couple of courses together...), Adam, I'm almost betting the farm that Ford will be able to make a pretty strong case about inappropriate fuels by what they see inside pumps and injectors.

How are they going to police stuff like this? How are they going to enforce it? Anybodies guess at the moment?

But looka here... <digital imaging updates

2010 Digital Imaging - Addition of Tires / Brake Rotors / TPMS Sensors

Ford Customer Service Division is adding additional components under a new Digital Imaging (DI) Prior Approval Program. The additional components are Tires, Brake Rotors and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensors. As always, dealership selection for DI participation is based on 126 Warranty Trend Report performance.

For additional information regarding the Tires / Brake Rotors / TPMS Sensors DI Program refer to the Digital Imaging Home Page, accessible through PTS Website > Tech Hotline.

>

That blurb was lifted off of the May/June 2010 Technician Hotsheet (something I didn't know existed until a couple of days ago).

What about OASIS Quick Start? is that going to expand?.... and has technology gotten to the point where accurate deductions can be made?

As for draining the gas out of a truck and simply adding diesel to call it a "fix"? Not my decision to make.... On the back of the RO, you write "drain fuel tank and lines, flush fuel pump and rail.... yadda -yadda-yadda...". Read lines like that and you know pretty much exactly what it isn't saying. FWIW, Adam, you and I do not have the privilege of opening a CUDL.... innocent by circumstance no matter what happens.

Had a 6.4 a few weeks ago - company refused to replace the fuel system - contacted hotline and was given the directions to open a CUDL to cancel the warranty - my SM did just that and we sent them out the door with a fresh tank of diesel. NOT MY PROBLEM WHEN THEY GET TO THE NEXT DEALER AND FIND OUT THEY HAVE NO WARRANTY!!!!

Seen several but found out insurance companies actually cover this. (cover stupidy as the guy put it).

Well it has to be worded properly to the insurance company. If the customer did it, it probably would not be covered. If somebody sabatoged his vehicle by putting gasoline in the fuel tank, they will probably cover it. I've seen situations similar to this get covered by an insurance company before.

In Canada (BC) it is covered by insurance, regardless of how it happened. Unless it is proven that the customer did it intentionally, It is considered an accident (stupidity, that is). Although it does go against your collision policy, and puts a (large) ding against your claims history, as it is considered the same as driving into a post. I have done 2 6.4l fuel system jobs, and probably 5 engines (assorted makes) due to driving into a river and hydro locking, all paid for by insurance.

In Canada (BC) it is covered by insurance, regardless of how it happened. Unless it is proven that the customer did it intentionally, It is considered an accident (stupidity, that is). Although it does go against your collision policy, and puts a (large) ding against your claims history, as it is considered the same as driving into a post. I have done 2 6.4l fuel system jobs, and probably 5 engines (assorted makes) due to driving into a river and hydro locking, all paid for by insurance.

I had no idea.

If it was a full service station like we have here they pay for the repairs on their insurance.. It has been done several times on their dime!!!

I guess thats what you get for min wage!!!

I ain't real sure what an automotive insurance company has to do with getting bad fuel. If I was a head honcho at Geico or Allstate or whatever and you called me and said that you just filled your tank up at Jimbo's Gas and Go and your fuel system destroyed itself and it was determined that the fuel source caused it and you wanted to open a claim for $8000, then I would promptly tell you to call the gas station with that bill and maybe get yourself a lawyer.

These guys that are getting their insurance to pay these claims are gonna get dropped like a hot potatoe when they have an accident or another bad run of fuel. Seen it happen before.

I'm not sure about you but this is why I bought insurance... Something bad happened to me... I had something to do with it... or maybe I didn't.

Question one.... am I covered? After that, we can go to question 2.

I buy insurance because I expect <A>... someone else is going to get stupid or <B>... I will get stupid...

Warrantees are for defects in workmanship... Insurance is for defects in people...

Any questions?