E350 4R75E

Rate this topic

Fishing for opinions: A 2009 E350 with a 4R75E - The customer (2 employees from a local market) state that the transmission disengages at times while driving. Typically cruising down the highway and accelerating or climbing a hill. The RPM's climb and the van "loses power" or does not accelerate then catches.

I have no DTC's and cannot verify the concern, probably because I have the (VDR and a pressure gauge attached) but after not finding anything the first time the van came in the customer returning tells me that there has to be something going on. A discussion with other techs in my shop suggests that it is possible to have a problem with the forward or direct clutch developing, likely a seal. I removed the pan and found a bit of clutch material on the magnet - more than I would expect to see for 11,000 miles.

I have decided to pull the assembly and have a look. Anyone see this before?

You know, It almost sound like what I usually hear from customers when a fuel system or catalytic concern is developing. Step on it and trans downshifts, but truck lacks the ability to rev enough for that gear, and slows down, or "hesitates". I cant count how many times I've replaced fuel pumps or filters for " my trans wont shift up on a hill", or "my trans is slipping uphill". Might be worth a look? Have also seen maf sensors do the same sort of thing. Funny stuff happens whe the load calculation is skewed.

Engine performance is always a consideration when diagnosing transmission concerns. In instances like the ones you mention customers will usually say the trans is slipping or shifts hard. This van runs great however.

Update: After pulling the pan and finding a gel mushroom on the magnet I decided to start digging and removed the main control, installed the test plate and performed the air leak check. Removed the trans and disassembled to find a burned clutch pack but no bad seals...

Yea, in the short time i've been wrenching on diesels i've seen similar concerns on 7.3 caused by fuel restrictions. On 6.0 mostly cat or maf hose-split at the nipple on the intake not always setting a dtc right away and making it feel like a transmission concern.

I have had two similar concerns, one on a gasser Econoline, one on a diesel F-series.

The gasser econoline FINALLY set a code during the concern...

P0297.... thank you sir, have a nice day.

And the F-series that was continually written up as a trans concern had a bad EGRTA sensor causing the truck to go into de-rate but not set codes or inform the driver.

What clutch was burned? Did any valve body bolts come out "too easy"?

I like to take a straight edge and check the flatness of the worm trails. If you can do it with a warm trans, so much the better....

FWIW, my last victim, a 5R110 had a burned up forward clutch - over 1/2 inch of clutch pack clearance. I was surprised it would even move. This truck had extremely high pressure across the board. Pump and main regulator looked good. I couldn't cost cap it but there were no torque converters available and it got a reman.

The direct clutch had a big air leak when I tested it but oddly enough the only clutch that was burnt was the reverse clutch. I checked the case where the output shaft goes, the shaft and the clutch assembly. I replaced the shell, the piston, the seals on the output shaft and the reverse clutch. It got a new valve body due to the goofiness of the condition and the resulting damage.