What do you guys charge?

Rate this topic

mchan68

...... for outside garages to bring in their 6.0L needing a FICM that they change out in your parking lot, that YOU program with IDS (even though some come programmed out-of-box but they don't need to know that)?

...... for outside garages that request your presence to attend to THEIR shop to assist with diagnosis of a vehicle they can't fix?

Maybe it's just me, but I begin to question whether or not these guys have any business wrenching on diesels in the first place, if they end up going in over their heads. God forbid the customers bring it into the stealership to have it diagnosed and repaired right in a reasonable time frame.

Isn't it just great that these piece of shit 6.0 leakers are going out of warranty one by one? Posted Image

Had a Midas tow in a F350 that they already had the FICM installed. I charged them a half hour to program it.

As for making a house call to an independent shop, I would never prostitute myself that way. If they want me to look at it, they can tow it to me and pay the same as everyone else. I didn't go through all this training to help some under qualified people steal work away from me or my dealership. I will make an exception for government fleets / military ect.

We charge one hour to program a FICM if it's been installed already. Remember, it's more than just our time that needs to be paid for... Don't forget the cost of the equipment, subscriptions and training that has to be covered too. And it does not get waived from any additional diagnosis fees when we have to figure out what is really wrong.

As for attending other shops, we will only do it for a really, really good fleet customer. And only in an absolute pinch. We normally just tell people that want us to attend their shops that our technicians are only insured to work on the premises, and for that reason we don't/can't do service calls... But, when I do actually do it, I normally charge traveling time plus one hour plus two hours diagnosis fee. Basically, driving time plus three hours.

Jeff:

Please discuss pricing in "hours" only and not in dollars. It is a violation of US federal anti-trust guidelines to discuss pricing among competing shops. It is legal to discuss this in hours but not dollars and it is not legal to discuss what competing shops charge per hour. I know you're in CA and this should not apply to you but we don't want our feds looking at this website as a venue for American shops to "price fix". The best way to avoid issues with our feds is not to step on their toes at all.

I know you mean well and I just mean to mention this softly. Many conferences I attend require I sign a contract stating exactly this so that the conference promoters don't get in hot water, and it is commonly posted on great big signs in the classrooms that we do not discuss pricing.

Thanks!

Posted Image

Mike.... Sometimes you ask the oddest questions....

If an outside garage brings us something they took on but can't complete - they get the full tilt.... show no mercy - take no prisoners. "Hey, buddy (you know what a "buddy" is, right?) - hand me that knife... I will help you slit my throat".

If I have to travel to their shop (and I have had to do that) - it is "show no mercy - take no prisoners plus mileage".

Why is it that everyone that profits from the 6.0s weak points calls them a piece of shit?

"I work on trucks for a living.... I think the 6.0 is a piece of shit because it makes my mortgage payments"....

Can anyone explain the meaning of "conumdrum"?

Mike, We don't treat an outside shop any different than we would a customer walking in the front door. The ONLY difference that might exist is if they are one of our part's department customers with an account that gives them special pricing on parts.

Road trip? Are you serious? There is a special tool for that and it is called a flatbed.

Why is it that everyone that profits from the 6.0s weak points calls them a piece of shit?

"I work on trucks for a living.... I think the 6.0 is a piece of shit because it makes my mortgage payments"....

I prefer to use the word "$hit", rather than "shit".

6.0s bought me a really, really nice house, so I will not speak poorly of them! Keep them coming, especially now that there are so many out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: Jim Warman

I prefer to use the word "$hit", rather than "shit".

6.0s bought me a really, really nice house, so I will not speak poorly of them! Keep them coming, especially now that there are so many out of warranty.

Posted Image X2

• 1 month later...

If they bring the truck to me, it is a minimum of 1hr. Just to PMI the thing. If we have to hook up IDS, (even to pull a code) it is an hour charge. I never, ever, ever leave the dealership during working hours to go diagnose/pass an eye/brother in law a truck. If they want the quality of service that comes out of our shop, they can do just like everyone else. Set up the appointment and get the truck to our shop. Just because they need there truck yesterday doesn't make their money any better than the person in front of them.....Granted, there are exceptions to the rule {ie; guy blew a cac boot pulling a grade with his taj mahal in tow 3000 miles away from home with his wife, mother in law and triplets in the truck} but, at that point...human compassion takes over and it is just a matter of paying your dues to society. My useless .02, anyway.