UPS no power, black/grey smoke

Rate this topic

Hi, guy's! I have a 2007 6.0 that was a roadcall today for no power, and black smoke. Scan ecm = no codes. replaced EBP sensor and tube. (clogged) No change, still no power, ton of smoke. I'm going to change all the filters next. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks.......Happy friday! Anyone going to the Lake George car show Sept. 9, 10, 11? I'll be there with my 70 duster HELLRIDER!

Hi, Aaron! This is a p1000 UPS truck. No codes before or after EBP replacement. Can not check on road with our scanner. Can I load the motor in gear, will that give me an accurate reading?, or does it need to be moving?

Pull the egr valve and check to see if it is plugged and or stuck open. Is the engine misfiring? Runs smooth at idle? Usually a bad/plugged ebp sensor, bad/plugged egr valve, and or sticking turbo will cause black smoke complaints. At warm idle your ebp reading should be about 2.2psi.

Hey, what's up? Ya, engine runs smooth at idle, but when the turbo spools up, it falls flat on it's face, and a ton of black and grey smoke pours out! Doesn't clear out, unil you let off the throttle. Looks like an old freight train! Passed inj. test, and no codes! EBP .83 to 1.09 warm idle.

Either .6vdc or .9vdc is the voltage for the ebp with a koeo test (0psi).. I would pull the egr valve out and inspect this first as it is the easier than disassembling the turbo. Usually if the ebp sensor and tube is plugged, so is the egr valve ports. Be sure to inspect inside the intake as the ports that feed the egr valve in the intake can also be plugged.

Turning it with a pair of pliers to make the 'ears' sit over the intake might make it come out easier, too. Use a hook-style alignment bar to bunt it out. Be careful not to get too aggressive with it, you'll bend the ears.

Got it out! What a MF! Thought it would have looked worse, but not too bad. I cleaned the intake, as much as I could reach. I took the egr appart, and cleaned every part that I could. Its running right now, I will road test it in a few minutes. Thanks for all the help so far!

Turning it with a pair of pliers to make the 'ears' sit over the intake might make it come out easier, too. Use a hook-style alignment bar to bunt it out. Be careful not to get too aggressive with it, you'll bend the ears.

These egr valves are a little different than the ford ones. They are cast aluminum base, not the stamped steel.

Yep! And after I removed and cleaned the EGR, it made no difference! This thing pumps out more than the usual amount of black smoke,that you would expect to see, with a clogged EBP! From what I can tell, it looks like a mixture of black, and white smoke! Even smells funny! I checked the fuel for gasoline, and did not find a problem. When I load the motor, I get 17lbs boost, and all the pids seem to be normal.I'm thinking the IPR might be a problem, but not sure.