tear down time

Rate this topic

I am wondering what everyone would charge for the following.

2008 f450 6.4. Time to diagnose several failed injectors. Diagnose failed injection pump. Perform debris test. Remove fuel tank to inspect. Removed cab and injection pump to tear down pump and inspect for rust. Truck is stock with no add ons. I need retail teardown time only, not time to put it back together.

I am wondering what everyone would charge for the following.

2008 f450 6.4. Time to diagnose several failed injectors.

3 hrs

Diagnose failed injection pump.

2 hrs

Perform debris test. Remove fuel tank to inspect.

2-3 hrs depending on (PTO/bed/body/etc) options and how full the tank is.

Removed cab and injection pump to tear down pump and inspect for rust.

10 hrs

Truck is stock with no add ons. I need retail teardown time only, not time to put it back together.

How much clock time do you have in it? Take that and add a bit for grief. Remember we're in this to make money, not do favors. Be fair with yourself. You didn't build it, break it or warranty it, and it's not your fault.

Posted Image

You didn't build it, break it or warranty it, and it's not your fault.

Bruce, That is a very poetic statement......

I expected to hear something like that from Jim......

I agree with your statement on the labor, but I have seen many different ways of pricing out jobs. The way I have seen the most is to add about 30% to warranty time to break even for all of the unforseen problems to come. Usually 40% over warranty is pretty acceptable for a cash job.

Thanks for the input guys. Bruce you are right on with what we think is accurate. That is about what we quoted. I am not the one working on it but get involved in alot of this kind of stuff with the other techs and management. I wont go into alot of details becuase it is a long story that everyone has probably dealt with in the past. Has to do with the same dealer politics that everyone else deals with as well. I just wanted the opinions from other people. They want to pay this guy 5 hours to do all that. I am just trying to negotiate a fair deal here becuase I want to see people get treated better with some respect.

Thanks for the input guys. Bruce you are right on with what we think is accurate. That is about what we quoted. I am not the one working on it but get involved in alot of this kind of stuff with the other techs and management. I wont go into alot of details becuase it is a long story that everyone has probably dealt with in the past. Has to do with the same dealer politics that everyone else deals with as well. I just wanted the opinions from other people. They want to pay this guy 5 hours to do all that. I am just trying to negotiate a fair deal here becuase I want to see people get treated better with some respect.

If that were me, I would tell them to shove that 5 hours up there asses and fix it themselves!!! Posted Image

I'd work for five hours, and then stop.

Five hours is absurd for that amount of work.

You could have 5 hours in R&R the fucking cab, if the mount bolts give you grief!