10B17

Rate this topic

mchan68

Saw that today.

I think we've only sold two 6.7 trucks so I should be run off my ass doing this recall Posted Image

I am interested to see how the added power and torque makes the truck drive

• 2 weeks later...

We were saying it almost looks like a cover up to address all the problems that have cropped up so far, it just sounds fancier as a "added power" recall instead of a various driveability concerns recall....hahaha. It's Fords way to keep it all hush hush and out of the spotlight

I flashed a 6.7 in class the other day (in Yakima, Washington) and told the driver to call me if it ran differently. So far, no call. I was at 68.08 doing the flash, so I assume it would be the 400hp update.

Man, that flash takes takes a long time- 5+ minutes to download the file and 20+ minutes to flash it. It's longer than any Ford I've ever done.

Posted Image

I flashed my first one this week, it took about 20 minutes. Truck had 1800 miles on it without any problems, but after the flash it now has an intermittent bogging and stalling concern. It's coming back Tuesday. I sure hope this doesn't end up like the 6.0 with countless re-flashes to resolve the problems caused by the previous reflash.

Cetane, you listening?

I've gotten anal about reflashing... cat battery, plug in the IDS - I do not want an aborted reflash. Battery chargers come with baggage - too much AC - too high volts - something... And it all still takes much longer than Ford is about to pay.

Keeping with their "wrench time" ideal, Ford apparently will not pay for reboot time... will not pay for "IDS could not connect to corporate server" time... will not pay for a blown DLC fuse....

One real distinct and (for me) distressing problem is assholes.... yes... we have assholes in our shop... leaving open sessions. These invariable cause lock ups, miscommunications and other irritating and time wasting concerns.

"Not me" is the worst offender and I am trying my best to have this waste of oxygen canned...

Warn your customers not to tow after the reflash for 500-700 miles. Did my first one on one of our regular customers truck and he was towing his 15,000 pound fifth wheel with the cruise on at 70 mph coasting down a hill (yes we have hills in Kansas) and the trans went from 6th gear to 4th and caused the truck and trailer to fish tail badly. He also said he was getting 19.5 mpg empty and now is getting 12, towing he was getting 13 and now 8.

He said after the reflash the instrument cluster now tells you what gear the trans is actually in and that's how he knows it went into 4th gear. Here's the hotlines reply

" The poor economy, surge, lack of power from a stop, and the transmission shifting concern can be caused by the fact that the vehicle has not completely gone through its relearn.

The vehicle will need to relearn several strategies after the re flash including some shift strategies. This could be part of the cause for the intermittent hesitation and fuel economy drop.

Recommend continuing to drive the vehicle to allow the vehicle to fully relearn all strategies. This can take 500 to 700 hundred miles to fully complete. When the PCM was reflashed the mileage was 2583 and now it has 2680 which is why it is suspected that is just has not completed the relearn at this time."

Sorry for the late response, I havent been to the forum in a while. I hear what you are saying, not sure how to reply though. I flashed my entire fleet with the update a while back and none of them have had problems. I heard there may be issues with IDS and the flashing process but I dont use it to flash so I cant comment first hand. The cal isnt new to us and to my knowledge there are no new issues created by the latest release. There is a colossal effort to make sure every issue is worked out quickly and correctly. All I can say is if you have an issue like that make sure the appropriate channels know about it. Please let us know what you find as well, if you find something I can help with, I will.

Just had one that we reprogramed and killed the ECM. Have one on order for two days now.

Today we had a regular customer come in for an oil changed and the recall but we told him to wait till his next oil change to do it.

I was under the impression that all the 6.7's were getting the upgrade unless already in it from the factory. Am I wrong on this? we just had a claim bounce because they said it didn't qualify for the upgrade. I read the letter and it says anything after 8/23/2010 already has it and this truck was built 6/18/2010. The OASIS shows no campain messages found. According to those dates, I would expect 10B17 to show up. Are there trucks that are singled out and not getting this?

• 3 weeks later...

I did a couple 2011 6.7 PDI's and they did not have the FSA flagged in OASIS.

I did, however, have one fling on a check engine light after the recall (couple days after, so it may not have been related) and a P164A showed up. Followed pinpoint test, compared PID values to like unit, ended up replacing NOx sensor, and all is well. It's sad there's an updated part number for that sensor, already. And Toronto has 14 of the NEW part number in stock. LOL.