`08 F250 W/ STEERING GRAB/KICK BACK

Rate this topic

STROKER_T

Need some help on this one....power steering grabs and kicks back when turning,pump seems to work fine...looked for but didn't see anything related,but i thought Posted Image that i saw a topic related to a valve in the brake booster that was causing some issues,or maybe it was a line....if you turn the wheel from 12 to 9 o'clock the steering wheel kicks back a bit...6.4L (pos)...thanks for any suggestions Posted Image

Down and dirty way... lift the front wheels clear of the ground - turn the front wheels to full lock one way or t'other. Lock in the hub and spin the wheel...

I see steering gears give wander ( see them with too much clearance in the lower sector shaft bushing, too ) but it is rare to see a steering gear give "kick back" IMHO. The design of the valve spool just doesn't lend itself to that kind of thing that I can see.

I spent a lot of time screwing with the one I had, and if I recall rightly, the truck I was playing with was 2wd. You let the wheel go and it would rock back and forth about 15 degrees total, real fast... almost like if you were to put an elastic band between two fingers, spread way apart, and put a pencil through the two pieces of the elastic band, wound it about a half turn, and let it go, if you can imagine that.

As of late though, I have had quite a few of those axle joints seize up and they have sometimes created VERY interesting driving conditions... Just cruising down the road, then all of a sudden.... BANG, Hey! I'm headed for the ditch! That's neat! Better straighten that up.... Do de do do do... cruisin along BANG! Now I'm headin' for the fuckin' ditch again!

MAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Spooky, the first couple of 'em you get.

Hey stroker, check the lines from pump to hydroboost. Had one with same exact issue,had a loose "straw"type of plastic tube dislodged and blocking the flow to the hydroboost. Think the tube is some type of inside hose lining.

Funny you should mention that, I had the same straw like object in one not long ago. Hotline had no idea what I was talking about when I called in. Thinking a pattern might be starting to form here.

It has been at least a year or so since but we had two or three of these failures come through our shop. When you find it blocking a fitting, it looks like a heavy plastic straw. My guess is that it is some sort of an internal liner in the pressure hose going to the brake booster. I *think* I recall the Hot-Line mentioning something like this.

• 10 months later...

I just inherited an 04 F250 4X4 that has issues when steering left. Independant shop. Two other techs have already been involved. They replaced the PS pump and hydroboost in the last week...no joy. It does it even when sitting still. Lifted front wheels and steering in free from lock-to-lock with engine off. I'll try it with the hubs locked tomorrow. I'm hoping to find the "straw" deal in the pressure line as the customer is taking a reaming on this one...if they really need a steering box...ouch.