Hickok G2 Injector Tester

Rate this topic

Hey Guys:

Hickok provided me with a toy to try out- a G2 injector tester that will work on 6.0 and any IH that uses a similar FICM/IDM- DTEGR, LCF/CF/VT275, VT365. It is a cable kit and scan-tool sized adapter with a PC interface for better graphics. See it here:

http://www.hickok-inc.com/catalog/waekonhickokcatalog.html

I hooked it to a 2005 DTEGR engine in a IH 4400 that has an intermittent misfire complaint. What this tool does is graph the movement of the spool valve looking for a sticking spool. How it does it is by measuring inductive kick on the opposite side of the spool that is not being commanded. This spike should correlate with the command within microseconds, and if it is not, then the spool is sticking. IH actually commissioned this tool and it is a required tool in dealerships in a slightly different form. IH's does not give graphics but only a warranty code to change cylinder number X injector. The aftermarket version gives the enhanced graphics with a price tag of about $2000. I do like the idea of this tool but 50% of the injector problems are in the top and 50% are in the barrel and plunger area. This tool is far from foolproof as an injector tester.

Note that #6 cylinder is slower than the rest and flags outside of the parameters, triggering a red light in #6:

Posted Image

This is my first try with this tool and I'm looking forward to getting more injector diag with it. I'll let you know as time goes on.

Have fun!

Posted Image

Bruce,

Thanks so much for mentioning the G2. Hickok has two flavors of the G2. The G2F is the graph you mention. This was aimed at dealer level techs that have factory software. They already have all the tools and experience to diagnose the lower half of the injector reliably. The G2 Suite has added functions that we believe round out the tool and provide diagnostics for the lower half of the injector. We have added a "scan for DTC's", graphing of the IPC and a automated cylinder kill that is similar to what IH uses. These added tools will give the tech the ability to look at some of the factors that effect the lower half of the injector. For the guys that haven't taken one of your classes yet this helps them alot. ;-)

Duane Hoyt

Research & Apps Engineer

Hickok Inc.

www.hickok-inc.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 years later...

Looking into buying a G2 inj tester. Is it worth the money? I already have an Auto enginuity and access to IDS. I showed it to manger and may buy for shop. An thoughts from people have used it?