I don't really think I work for the wrong dealer

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

It seems I read about it more and more (especially on the Ford message board(s))... Dealerships that have their (higher) trained and certified techs. doing all the crappy work, when the non-certified techs. and apprentices do all the "gravy" work.

I sometimes wonder if it's something that I do differently than than other techs that makes it a non-issue anywhere I've ever worked... For example, if something like that would start to happen, there is no hope in hell that I would ever help said non-certified tech. if he/she were ever to have a problem... or it could be that fact that I carry a reputation of not putting up with any shit like that, and it would likely cause me to part ways... I don't know. I don't understand how anybody would manipulate their trained technicians like that.

Just a rant. Thanks for reading.

I personally don't mind doing the "shit" work provided I am fairly compensated. There isn't much I actually consider "shit" work anymore, it is just work. Are we all noticing fewer young guys entering the business and out of those few how many show any aptitude, competence or desire?

I personally don't mind doing the "shit" work provided I am fairly compensated. There isn't much I actually consider "shit" work anymore, it is just work.

Well said. Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
Are we all noticing fewer young guys entering the business and out of those few how many show any aptitude, competence or desire?
NONE.

I take advantage of the crap jobs. Mostly 'cause by the time they end up in my bay, every part has been put on but the right part (which is ususally the only one left). It makes me look like a gaulddurn rocket scientist.

There is an old saying "the more you know the less you make" that goes around in the dealer circles. I can always put a spin on this, though. I always have something to do when all the other (younger) guys are standing around. Being able to work from bumper to bumper and wiping a repair order clean helps out. Also not being choosy helps. Some of the most raggedy ass vehicles, have turned out to be the best paying jobs.

As far as watching brakes and ball joints flying out of other bays while I'm doing some crap diag. Or hearing a tech say "got my 12 hours for the day" when it's only lunch time, I'll take the experience of learning on the hard job anyday. It pays in the long run!!!!!!!!!

I take advantage of the crap jobs. Mostly 'cause by the time they end up in my bay, every part has been put on but the right part (which is ususally the only one left). It makes me look like a gaulddurn rocket scientist.

Posted Image Isn't that always the truth?!!!

Originally Posted By: Brad Clayton
There is an old saying "the more you know the less you make" that goes around in the dealer circles. I can always put a spin on this, though. I always have something to do when all the other (younger) guys are standing around. Being able to work from bumper to bumper and wiping a repair order clean helps out. Also not being choosy helps. Some of the most raggedy ass vehicles, have turned out to be the best paying jobs.
Well, even getting some high mileage E-Series trucks in needing injector(s) RETAIL has actually turned my day from being a total write-off to covering a day and half's pay. So yeah, I'd have to agree with statement.

Originally Posted By: Brad Clayton
As far as watching brakes and ball joints flying out of other bays while I'm doing some crap diag. Or hearing a tech say "got my 12 hours for the day" when it's only lunch time, I'll take the experience of learning on the hard job anyday. It pays in the long run!!!!!!!!!
To tell you the truth, I don't give a flying rat's ass what's going down in the other bays, nor have I really ever. Come to think of it, if I end up with more than two PDIs a day, I get bored. Where I have issues, is when others in the shop make stupid comments about the crap work I do, or attempt to imply that I'm trying kiss management's ass. It's actually quite the opposite. Then, there's also the odd racial joke flying about with regard to my ethnicity.

Oh let's see...

Load lifting restriction of 5 LBS... I can't even lift my wiener to take a leak.

I'm not supposed to pull tires, or anything strenuous like that...

Brakes? HA.

So I'm pretty much limited to electrical repairs, and any sort of diagnostic work, and that's really the limit of it.

Apparently now I'm on the wait list for surgery.

Life's good. Posted Image