2001 Saturn L300

Rate this topic

Aaron

I have this for our UCD.

Airbag light on, "Service" (wrench) lamp on.

Only code I can get out of ANYTHING is U1000, and I can only get that from the BCM. Can't communicate with the PCM on an engine/trans level with the snap-on red-brick scanner.

Anyone good with these things?

Thanks guys!

Run Forrest, RUN! I'd guess your UCD already sold it to someone rather than wholesaling it?

I believe the only thing that will properly talk to it and provide info you can trust is a Tech2.

That car is just about the worst piece of shit since the Catera.

It has the Catera engine in it if its a V6.

Hope the timing belt is recent, haven't seen one yet that makes it to the scheduled interval, they dry rot and snap. Or the cheap plastic pulleys disintegrate. And you need a ton of special set up tools to do them.

I believe they want it looked at, the two lights, because that is the hinging point for it to sell, I think.

It is the 6 cyl.

I was tending to agree with you on the tech2 thing. I was just throwing this out to see if there were any silver bullets out there. I haven't worked on any off brand stuff in a while, so I haven't been keeping up with the aftermarket publications. I realize the odd time when I have a situation like this, how great it is to have a position at a dealer where we have all the proper scan tools, diagnostic tools and publications that are required to fix it right the first time. Especially when it comes to network concerns.

Thanks Fred!

My last service manager when i worked at the dealer was notorius for having techs pull warning bulbs out of clusters on used cars-at all the dealers he worked at so i was informed. He would throw his chair across the room and flip if he hears the cluster is tamper proof. I bought my last vehicle off him, the check engine lt., abs lt. and airbag lts. were all set on but the bulbs were pulled out.

Ummmmmm..... I can't speak for other makes, BUT....

If the ABS light on your late model Ford doesn't work, the beeping will drive you crazy. If the SRS light doesn't work.... the beeping will drive you crazy.

So... does that service manager understand the world of hurt he might be setting himself (and his employer) up for?

The best case scenario is that someone like me finds the problem and brands somebody else as a crook, a fraud and a cheat.

Worst case scenario is that some hapless boob winds up crippled for life and everyone even close to being associated with that car is suspected of involvement.

Either way, the rest of us look like crooks because "all mechanics are cut from the same cloth".

Your employer cannot require you to perform illegal acts. We sometimes get ROs stating <something happens> at 140 (just a wild, silly, plugged number) kilometers per hour. We have no roads in Alberta that allow me to drive that fast.

I'm not saying I haven't gone that fast.... I am saying I refuse to go that fast if I don't want/need to... I refuse to got that fast to make it more comfortable for you to go that fast... If I am to risk my driving privilege, I will risk it for ME... not for anyone else....

Oh.... and if someone I don't know real good says "come with me and I'll drive"... I might pass.

I might be an asshole... but I ain't no fool.

Yea, you got to love the high speed stuff like when you get one of those guys with a navigator who drives to florida alot complaining of a brake chatter above 80mph- i tried the i aint gona drive that fast to verify the complaint for obvious reasons, well lets just say i was given a choice.

I put tires on a Muttstang in the dead of winter with a foot of fresh snow on the ground. I told them flatout, I aint test drivin it for any reason.

Hey Aaron, hows the Saturn going? You manage to sweet talk someone over at the GM store into letting you borrow a Tech II? Scour the interwebs for a used one? It's gonna be your best friend on this one.