pdf '03-'04 cab removal

Rate this topic

I put this together the other day, and with Keith's help was able to format it into a PDF for everyones viewing pleasure. I hope that anyone who has not done this yet can get a good idea of what's involved. An '05 up differs slightly but is much easier.

This file was rather large so I broke it down into 5 parts.

• Like 2

Nice write-up Brad. What I found very interesting in it, is the way you access the crew cab specific cab bolts. Up until reading this, I've always done it by removing the rear seat completely. But I've found that by doing it this way, often requires the assistance of one or two fellow co-workers due to the weight of the rear seat. Making it even more of a pain is when it's one of those seats that has one of those fold-out untility trays underneath, making an already heavy rear seat even heavier. The biggest challenge is finessing it out of the cab through the rear door openings while making sure you don't scratch up the door panel in the process. But after this I may try your method next time.

It is also noteworthy to mention, when removing the package tray behind the rear seat, NOT to use an air ratchet or impact gun when removing the three 8mm bolts. I have found many a time, when removing them, at least one of them gives me problems so I now remove them with a hand ratchet to avoid stripping them during removal.

For those of you who remove the three lines at the HCU (like I do), have you noticed that the third line (closest to the outer side) always seems to give you problems when trying to re-thread it back into the pump?

Quote:
I just use an air ratchet and get underneath the carpet

Unfortunately that aint gonna happen up here. Just too much rust and them bolts seize right in there. It would be nice though.

Thank you very much fellas. I appreciate all the feedback (positive being my favorite Posted Image). I think the document is getting ready to be tweaked a bit, which will make it even better. First timers that want to use it can probably put it right on there desktop at work. I have all the coffee table books on my puter desktop in my bay. Super easy to visit on a frequent basis once they're downloaded.

I like the front seat removal method. I'm gonna try that on the next one for sure. Excellent article!! I use masking tape and a felt pen line at the headlights/ front bumper and box front rail/cab back panel for alignment reference. Anybody notice how poorly the bodies are lined up on these from factory?

• 1 month later...

Quote:
I just use an air ratchet and get underneath the carpet

Unfortunately that aint gonna happen up here. Just too much rust and them bolts seize right in there. It would be nice though.

We have rusty ones here and what I do is to loosen them first with my 1/2" long-handled ratchet and short sockets, then use my high powered Blue-Point air ratchet to finish the job. I have a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer that is only 1/8" thick to allow me to use the 1/2" sockets on my air ratchet. Works every time. Posted Image

• 6 years later...