Feeling inadequate....

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

Having one of those days? Feeling a little "lost at sea"? Wondering if you really might not be able to find your ass with both hands... even if I held up a map for you?

Cheer up, at least you don't have to explain this to anyone....

<Hi we have this truck we have changed the fuel rail pressure sensor and catalytic converters both with oe parts and we have bog down when accelerator pedal is to floor if you let up 1/2 inch it runs fine however you have no pass gear

COMPUTER CODES AND DESCRIPTIONS

P0171:

Bank 1 lean

P0174:

Bank 2 lean

P0191:

Fuel pressure rail

P0300:

Random multiple misfire

RELATED REPAIR HISTORY

Changed fuel rail pressure sensor changed catalytic converters>

This question was a help request from iATN (international Auto Technicians Network). Many years ago, it was a pretty good effort - these last several years, it seems like they have been letting lay-people into the ranks. (A lot of "my car", "girlfriends car" kinda requests).

I've been going to opt out, but there are some discussion forums that get interesting and there is the occassional chuckle to be had in the mailbox....

There've been some doozies this past while, but I figured one that is going to cost SOMEBODY an arm and a leg is worth the visit..... besides, after that APP truck you pawned off on me, I needed a shot of self-esteem - even if I have to steal it from some poor schmuck.... Posted Image

Is it just me or has the first step in diagnosing a concern changed to "ask someone else"? This site is good, but over at the monkeyhouse I have to wonder how many of these guys it's their first day at work? When I get asked for assistance (it is my job) I will usually answer with a question, hoping it may engage the thinking portion of the brain. Is it wrong of me to think that the knowledge accumulated over years of headaches is worth something?

I "used" to be a daily contributor to IATN but got tired of the same problems over and over, like you say- guys "trying" to fix things without the proper scan tool, service information, and without checking fuel pressure under load. I do still contribute to the HDF occasionally, but not like I used to.

Damon dropped out, too, he has something like 10K-20K posts on the HDF, I have 1700.

Too bad.

Posted Image

It is too bad, Bruce. I do miss the verbal slap on the side of my head that you and Damon could deliver in a gracious and informative way. Maybe my kind of antics helped push you and Damon away, who knows....

I do enjoy networking with professionals with real brains and real experience, and it disappoints me as well that the real assets to the repair industry opt to drop out. But I see the same crap happening in my own shop, as real experience and diagnostic efforts are circumvented by ignorance and pride by somebody doing a google search to find a quick answer for a phone-in fix. WTF? Whatever happened to investing in knowledge?

I don't profess to be anything special, I'm humble enough to be able to learn from anybody and anything. I absorb and buy all the info I can, but most days it hardly seems to be enough. Maybe I just had a bad week.....