Ford 6.4 vs Maxxforce 7 Injectors

Rate this topic

Duane

I hope someone here can help answer my question.

Not including the PCM and harness, is the Maxxforce 7 injectors the same as Ford's 6.4 diesel injectors? I do know they are both common rail and use the piezo injectors.

Specifically, are the voltages the same to open the injectors and do they use the same fuel pressures? Could you order an injector from Ford and put it in a Maxxforce 7?

I can get Ford PCED information but I don't have access to IH shop manuals.

Thanks.

I called parts guru Eddie Grauel at Power City IH and he says they are probably the same injector. If we can supply him a FMC PN for 6.4 injectors he will attempt at making a cross reference to an IH number.

Does anyone have a (the) PN handy for 6.4 injectors? Is there more than one?

(Larry!)

Duane- don't you have ISIS on DVD? I might be able to help you with that....

Posted Image

Bruce: We had online ISIS during the IPT development but no longer since the launch.

To everyone else, thanks for your input. If they're interchangable (at least till 2010) they should have the same operating strategies and requirements regarding voltages and pressures.

Installed an injector in a 2011 bus today with the maxxforce 7 and still the same injector number. I can see a recall coming though, two vehicles with injectors sticking open once the engine is heated up a bit. Setting codes for FPCV FVCV and unable to build FRP, and knocking.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the metal we find when we perform the debris check isn't really coming from the fitting threads. Just wondering. Posted Image The trucks I have worked on that had undeniable pump problems had some real crap in the lines or a LOT of flecks of metal, often dark colored.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the metal we find when we perform the debris check isn't really coming from the fitting threads. Just wondering. Posted Image The trucks I have worked on that had undeniable pump problems had some real crap in the lines or a LOT of flecks of metal, often dark colored.

I was actually wondering the same thing, but then I've had several with absolutely no debris, so did i mistakenly clean the threads first on those? Posted Image

Maybe I'll start brake cleaning the threads on the fuel rail before performing this test in the future....

I'm not finding metal in any debris checks i've done so far(which isn't that many). pumps are fixing them though so those valves are sticking for a reason

what are you guys talking about with the fitting threads? i take it when you unscrew them it shears some slivers off and it's mistaken for debri? i haven't heard that one yet

• 3 weeks later...