00-01 compatablilty

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

My buddies 2001 7.3 just popped, 180psi compression in #8 and like 350psi in all other holes, and doesnt want to tear it down. His truck only has 150,000 miles on it and he takes real good care of it but does ALOT of heavy hauling. The price for a ford engine ranges from $5K for basically a long block, to $9500 for a drop in. He doesnt have the money to go either route, now with his truck down its even harder.

ANYWAY, he knows a guy that has a 2000 parts truck with 77K miles on it and can get the hog cheap, any thoughts or ideas of problems we'd run into swapping the engine out?

Thanks guys,

Brandon

As long as we are on the subject, has anybody ever put a newer 7.3(00-03) into and older bodystyle(94-97). I know there is many differences(turbo pedestal, turbo, up-pipes, etc, etc). But does it fit with the taller pedesatal and larger turbo.

The reason I ask is I have a buddy with a 95 that has a shot motor. He found a 01 that rolled with an excellent motor for super cheap. I know we could change turbo's etc. and it would fit. But if it fits why not use the better turbo set-up. Do the superduty engines have a plug where the mechanical transfer pump used to be or is the hole not even cast at that point. Just wondering if anyone here has tried it. It doesnt matter that it is super cheap if it is going to be 15 hours of screwing around mixing and matching to make a bastard engine, that will be a nightmare to get parts for. Thanks for the input guys, I think we have covered this before now that I think of it after I wrote this post.

I put a '00 7.3L in a '93 F-350. Quite involved, lots of chassis problems to overcome. Awesome truck once I was done with it but not very practical unless money and time is no object. I got photos somewhere, have to round them up.

One problem not mentioned here is that future repairs can be a nightmare if the engine ser# is not used... or some unsuspecting un-informed individual in the future has no idea the engine is not what it is supposed to be. Then there are the chassis bastardizations that might cause confusion too.