2008 F-550 Oil Leak

Rate this topic

I have myself a city truck here with 92225 kms. (57306 miles) and 6249 hours on the clock. This truck has already had a crank seal replaced back in August of 2009 with about 50,000 kms. at the time, at another dealer. The complaint is that of an oil leak. I cleaned off the area around the crank pulley and oil pump, and this is what it looks like after about 1/2 an hour of idling in the shop.

Posted Image

Now if this were retail, I know how I'd be handling this. But being warranty, I am a little concerned about the high hour count causing the potential for a claim to bounce, depending on what I find. From the picture, it looks aas though it's leaking between the engine front cover and oil pump cover. Anyone else seen a leak like this before on an early build 6.4L?

From the picture, it looks aas though it's leaking between the engine front cover and oil pump cover. Anyone else seen a leak like this before on an early build 6.4L?

yes, seen it a couple times on early 08 trucks. replacing the oil pump housing fixed them. warranty had no problem paying for it but like you said I'd be unsure about the engine hours

Nowhere in any literature (that I'm aware of) have they actually come out and said an engines warranty lasts for "xxxx" hrs. Untill they do I dont think it should even be a consideration for warrantee denial. (unless its a lack of maintenance vs hrs concern.)

Nowhere in any literature (that I'm aware of) have they actually come out and said an engines warranty lasts for "xxxx" hrs. Untill they do I dont think it should even be a consideration for warrantee denial. (unless its a lack of maintenance vs hrs concern.)

To add to that, the hour vs. maintenance won't apply to oil leaks, just running concerns.

Not unless the crankshaft is hopping up and down in the block. Posted Image

Originally Posted By: Jeff_E
I've had a few of those, and I've found just replacing the low pressure oil pump cover gasket won't fix it, but a new low pressure oil pump usually does.

Posted Image

Posted Image

For clarity:

When I said I've had a few of those, I meant a few oil leaks identical to the picture in the first post... Not a few with the crankshaft bouncing around.

If you actually find one with the crank bouncing around, don't expect a new low pressure pump to fix it. Make more sense now? Posted Image