02 7.3 stall

Rate this topic

I've an '02 F-350 that will start and run nicely when cold but stall after about 10 seconds. It will usually restart without cycling the key. The pcm does not reset. ICP does not drop till well after the stall. It has the revised CMP sensor. VPWR does not waiver at stall. After a lot of restarts, it will stay running and runs well, with an occasional hick-up. I suspect IDM is failing but would like to be sure. Any ideas???

Quote:
I've an '02 F-350 that will start and run nicely when cold but stall after about 10 seconds. It will usually restart without cycling the key. The pcm does not reset. ICP does not drop till well after the stall. It has the revised CMP sensor. VPWR does not waiver at stall. After a lot of restarts, it will stay running and runs well, with an occasional hick-up. I suspect IDM is failing but would like to be sure. Any ideas???

This doesn't always mean it's a good. Codes?

I would verify that you have good power and grounds to the IDM if there is no buzzing of the injectors during the buzz test after the stalling condition. If the power and grounds are good, then suspect an IDM.

• 1 month later...

Update, replaced cmp no change, replaced IDM started and ran fine for 1 week then stalled after running about 10 sec when cold ,repeatedly.

replaced pcm 3 days ago, so far so good

can anyone tell me if i can reprogram an e series pcm for this F-350

You might be able to. You would have to trick your scan tool into thinking it has a blank PCM and use the tear tag off the original PCM.

Caution, memory thing happening - for '02 I think the only concern you'll have in transposing PCMS is whether the truck is a stick or auto....

FWIW, sorry to hear about the Taurus.... my Gawd!!!! Does nobbody have any pride??? Posted Image

I used to drive a Yugo but it got stolen and now I drive a Trabant.... Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update: installed e series pcm, started and ran everyday for 1 1/2 weeks, this morning started and ran for 5 sec then stalled, repeatedly. Looking for dynamite now.

P.S. IDS told me "incorrect hardware level" when trying to reprogram e series pcm to f series. it did seem to start and run ok for test purposes

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

...well i ran out of things to check and monitor, so i replaced the engine harness, the owner has had it for 2 weeks and said "never a hick-up". Hope this helps someone, it was one of the toughest to figure out.

• 5 months later...