Glowplug harnesses

Rate this topic

Any of you guys strugle with glowplug harnesses? Later models are never a problem. The 05 and below suck. I was changing out the harness on bank 2 and could not get cyls. 4 and 6 to come out for the life of me. Good thing i was doing some injectors on the same bank. I was able to get them out by sneaking a wrench on the glowplugs and just moving it a little got the harness plug to twist, then i got the the glowplug harness remover tool and yankked it up and out from the inside. It really sucked! The last 2 times this happened to me on 04's, they would not come out and broke clean flat, i sharpened an 8 inch skinny flatblade craftsman screwdriver and heated it red hot and tapped them out but that way takes more time.

Anybody have a way of pulling out these glowplug harnesses out sucessfully?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Just as I read this post, I'm fooling with an '05 F-Series on my doorstep with an EGR cooler failure locked engine. Cylinders #1, #3 and #5 came out no problem. But I broke #7. And yes, I used the tool and I'm not a hack. Oh well, I guess the owner gets to add an RH glow plug harness to the shopping list.

CHA CHING!!!!

I hadn't broken any in a while until last week when I had a bank of injectors to replace. I go so pissed off I pulled on the harness so hard I stripped the rest of the harness off one glow plug wire all the way to the 4 way connector. It finally came out after the valve cover was off. Is it me or does this happen more on the right bank with the heater box in the way? Posted Image

It amuses me too. Sometimes you have to vent. I felt better at the time as I yanked on that damn thing... until I realized it was still in the damn cylinder head! I shouldn't have gotten pissed because I was pulling the injectors any way and you can pop them off from the "inside."

spray with pb blast, let sit for 5-10 min, using glow plug tool and a medium sized prybar can usually get them popped, there are still "those ones" that won't budge with this method, but most come out this way. Posted Image

If I get a chance I'll take a picture to illustrate this better.

As with many things that have o-rings in aluminum bores, I have also found PB Blaster and patience to be effective. Enough lube, moving the part up and down eventually works the penetrant in. Problem for me on this one is that it was under the heater box and I was in a rush... make that impatient. Knowing that I would have access to the "other end" of the plugs it was not worth the effort. Oh I might have saved the harness...

Also noticing more corrosion in those bores nowadays too.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Just as I read this post, I'm fooling with an '05 F-Series on my doorstep with an EGR cooler failure locked engine. Cylinders #1, #3 and #5 came out no problem. But I broke #7. And yes, I used the tool and I'm not a hack. Oh well, I guess the owner gets to add an RH glow plug harness to the shopping list.

CHA CHING!!!!

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning

As with many things that have o-rings in aluminum bores, I have also found PB Blaster and patience to be effective. Enough lube, moving the part up and down eventually works the penetrant in. Problem for me on this one is that it was under the heater box and I was in a rush... make that impatient. Knowing that I would have access to the "other end" of the plugs it was not worth the effort. Oh I might have saved the harness...

I guess I should be glad I'm not the only one. On the flip side, 2003 engines with the buss bar seem to remove very easily, with the exception of cylinders #5 and #7. How does every one else get around that on these applications?

It's always the one that's hydrolocked, just trying to get the thing running before bringing it inside. The thing breaks off and has to be dug out of the cylinder head with a long thin screwdriver.

The tool works well on some, but if it's stuck, it's STUCK! And then it will SUCK to remove.

I've actually had fair luck by locking a pair of vice grips on the wire as close to the broken connector as possible and then givin her a good yank. This is on the actual wire, with the sheathing pulled out of the way. Done several this way and they've all come out.

These are the two tools I always used, with the first one being my favorite: http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-320120-sp29b.aspx . If I had the valve cover off, I could get the cotter pin puller under the harness end and pry it out. If I did not have the cover off, the pick was sharp enough and strong enough to embed itself into the plastic of the harness end. you can use a little heat on the tip to help embed it into the plastic as well. This is the second toll I had: http://www.mactools.com/product/tabid/120/p-320270-sw70b.aspx . Not sure if that will help ya folks. Who Knows, Maybe I can help most of you guys with ideas like this from now on to help make your lives easier.

Not sure if that will help ya folks. Who Knows, Maybe I can help most of you guys with ideas like this from now on to help make your lives easier.

well i probably have the least diesel experience of anyone on this site so i appreciate any help i can get. thanks Posted Image

• 2 months later...

I have had some bad luck getting these connectors out as well. Major pain in the ass trying to get that tool in and get any type of leverage or back and forth motion on the right side of the e vans. Have not tried the PB though, gonna try that on Monday on the one in my bay. Thanks for the tip!

I avoid removing the harness at all cost. They absolutely will not come apart, here in Vermont. Luckily we see very few glow plug failures and the relative compression test exist. I think I have replaced 3 faulty 6.0 liter glow plugs in my career. When I do head gaskets, I remove the rocker bridge and knock the harness out from the back side with a ball peen hammer! That is the only way to save them.

I avoid removing the harness at all cost. They absolutely will not come apart, here in Vermont. Luckily we see very few glow plug failures and the relative compression test exist. I think I have replaced 3 faulty 6.0 liter glow plugs in my career. When I do head gaskets, I remove the rocker bridge and knock the harness out from the back side with a ball peen hammer! That is the only way to save them.

Ditto on that one here too, including having only to replace THREE glow plugs on a 6.0L. I use a 13mm socket to knock the harness out from the underside of the rocker arm carrier too.