Icp leak ???

Rate this topic

You gotta side bet going in the shop on this one? Posted Image

An IPR that is electrically off (unplugged, no power, or no duty cycle command being sent to it) will dump hpop output straight to the sump. So if it is stuck open the same condition could exist. I consider anything from the hpop and aft to be the high pressure circuit and would call a stuck open IPR a "leak". And it would simply be a faulty IPR valve also. Posted Image

A properly working IPR is a "controlled" leak.

Haha, something like that. My mentor asked me if the vehicle he asked me to check out had a leak. So I told him no, it has a faulty ipr. Then he had this confused look on his face and said "does it have a leak or not " and ... Well that's why I was asking. I dont think he would have been able to put it in those words. So makes perfect sence so thanks for the clarification .

A leak would be a non-designed or unintended discharge of a particular fluid.... The IPR is designed to be a "calibrated, intended discharge of engine oil".

Adhering strictly to semantics, if the IPR is working properly it is not leaking because any discharge is intended. If the IPR is "stuck" open, some of the oil being discharged is unintended - ergo, it must be a leak.

The best comparative example would be a fuel injector..... let's consider a gas engine fuel injector.... If it is discharging the amount of gas it is intended to discharge at the time it is intended to be discharging it, it is functioning normally. If it is discharging more gas than intended, discharging gas at a time that is unintended or discharging gas from a location that is unintended - we consider it to be............

Excellent comparison Mr. Warman! I love reading your explanations of things!!

I think Jim needs to spend more time playing with his grandkids and less time making the rest of us look bad.... Posted Image

Originally Posted By: joshbuys
Excellent comparison Mr. Warman! I love reading your explanations of things!!

I think Jim needs to spend more time playing with his grandkids and less time making the rest of us look bad.... Posted Image

I need to spend less time sitting in hotel rooms far from home....

As far as making anyone look bad???? I am my own worst enemy... honest...

Mr. Warman was my Dad... I'm "that asshole in northern Alberta"... an ex-firefighter army brat high school dropout with more opinions than Carters got pills. And you thought I was just another pretty face....