New calibration test in our shop......

Rate this topic

You've all heard of the new calibration in the works from Ford for all the DEF issues. Just heard that one of the engineers is coming in to our humble little dealership to install a new NOX sensor and calibration into one of customer's trucks for testing.

We have a couple of customers that want to know whats going on. We got in touch with are fse and he told us that there would we a interm flash till they get a new sensor out. The date that he told us has now come and gone with no new flash on oaisi, so I don't think this fse know what he is talking about. So ya get as much info as to whats going on with this.

There are 2 problems going on.

First for P164A there is a calibration issue. In the cold weather the DEF system cannot perform as good as when it is warmer. It has nothing to do with slushy DEF. The calibration will adjust the allowable parameters for the NOX sensor when cold.

Second for P2A00 is the sensor construction. The crimp on the sensor fails and allows contaminants in. The new sensor will be laser welded to fix this issue.

The calibration was made available last night and the latest IDS update will have it. The sensor is not yet available and neither is the TSB that allows us to get paid for this. You can do the calibration update, but on your dime for now.

I also got some info on the new 6.4L update, I added it to the recall discussion.

We have decided to wait for the TSB and new sensors to come out, which is approx. 2 weeks, to start repairing the trucks. Paper work can really get messed up if we start doing them now and try to keep track of them all for later submittal.

Update: Truck came back with the same problem on Friday. Will post when more info is available.

Update: Manual regen performed per PPT in PCED. The failure causes overfueling, thus the need for manual regen. So far, so good. Tomorrow is another day, we shall see.

Update: truck has been driven most of the day, no codes pending/ no MIL. Fingers crossed. Tomorrow it goes back to the customer.

TSB 11-3-23 covers the new calibration update for P164A.

For P2a00 replace NOX sensor with existing stock, new one will be available soon and can be changed in if the old style sensor fails again. Make sure you do a manual regen after changing the sensor. If IDS says it doesn't need it DO IT ANYWAYS. Otherwise it will come back with the same code again.

Thanks for the TSB number. I have one right now that needs that but it doesn't come up on OASIS or on my IDS. My IDS shows SSM 21690 and OASIS doesn't show any SSM's or TSB's for the code.

I'm getting tired of the lack of access to information from Ford to fix these vehicles properly.

Leon, Did you have a hard time doing the regen. I am trying to do one right now but it will not finish the regen telling me the condition are not right. Did you do a static or dynamic regen.

Thanks for the TSB number. I have one right now that needs that but it doesn't come up on OASIS or on my IDS. My IDS shows SSM 21690 and OASIS doesn't show any SSM's or TSB's for the code.

I'm getting tired of the lack of access to information from Ford to fix these vehicles properly.

For those times that you feel Ford has dropped the ball, have you reported the concern through SPECs?

Leon, Did you have a hard time doing the regen. I am trying to do one right now but it will not finish the regen telling me the condition are not right. Did you do a static or dynamic regen.

Done 3 so far, no issues. Drove truck outside after repair, opened the hood, went into manual regen, IDS does the test, It will run engine up to 2000 RPM to heat up the exhaust and ECT for you also. All 3 said regen not required, do you wish to continue, I clicked YES. It ran up to 2000 RPM, ramped up the fan to max and 30 minutes later she is done. Those temps get high, 1.026K F.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE HOOD OPEN, that may be the condition it warns of.

For those times that you feel Ford has dropped the ball, have you reported the concern through SPECs?

I've talked to the hotline about it before and they say it's not Ford's job to get the information out in a timely manner. I've had more than one hotline person tell me this.

I knew you could use SPEC's for correcting service manual info I didn't think about using it for this kind of problem.