6.4L coffee table book question.

Rate this topic

lmorris

Yesterday our Internet went down, again, (but thats a different story for a different time). So I pulled out my coffee table book for the torque procedure on the injectors and HP rail.

Page 88, Figure G: HPCR Fuel Components Assembly Procedure, VS. Figure I: Injector-Pipe-Rail Sub Assembly Process.

Is it just me or are these the same procedure, just one being a tad more technical that the other?

Four times a year, I get red service DVDs... (once they turn to yellow - guard them with your life because that will be very likely the last iteration of that disc..... we are missing one yellow disc covering one year only - and they only want $3500 for it).

Anyway, I religiously load the DVDs for those times when "the internet goes down". If one of my guys comes to me and says he can't access a service manual - I will kick him in the ass - and then show him stuff that he should already know.

IF your shop is receiving the discs and "someone" is sitting on them, "that someone" should be shot with a ball of his own shit, set on fire and removed from your Xmas card list.

FWIW... there is always the chance that a technique or procedure may be altered after something has been in the field for any length of time.

The mothership openly and often states that we are to access the online manuals as they are the most up to date source of documentation available. In the event that they are not available, we go to the "next newest" source. If we follow this credo, we can always state that we "followed the latest specifications and procedures available to us at the time".

FWIW... manuals are made by people that make manuals.... not by people that work on trucks.

It's been so long since I used the DVD's that I had completely forgotten about them.

It just seemed odd that they had the procedure twice. One worded slightly different than the other. It seems one was writen by an engineer and the other by a technician.

Talked to my shop foreman today about putting all the cd's on a computer(he said he'd bet there's at least 200 of them in his office!!) CRAZY!!

Said we could load them on one of the shop computers...have one shop computer that hardly gets used - has 30gb of free space on the hard drive, we'll be getting them loaded there soon!

200???

There are 3 current red DVDs - These I just load the front end and let the guys have their way with them... they get replaced regular enough that a few scratches and marks don't seem to hurt (and I always save a few older ones in case).

There are a few more of the yellow discs... 92-96, 96-01(?) and I think one a year after that up the about MY 2006. We are due for new PCs so I imagine I'll be reminded right away - yellow DVDs I copy onto the "shop" PC and hide the DVDs in the fiule cabinet. Yellow DVDs are the last time that manual will be presented.

FWIW, these few discs all fit onto our leased computers with plenty of room to spare.

There is absolutely no excuse for your employer not making these things available to you... even to the point that they are instantly available when more conventional means fail.