Snap on 10mm 6.4L Turbo socket

Rate this topic

You mean this socket for the inlet pipes?

Posted Image

I know we discussed this some time ago, nobody was impressed as I recall. I bought one and have used it with no problems. Maybe there was a defective batch?

I'll tell you that I have had some of those bolts break though. Now I get them red with a torch before wrenching.

you've gotta be smart about pulling those bolts out, they're only M8 if it feels like it's going to break, it probably is. i've had to heat more than a few to remove. soaking them and working them back and forth doesn't seem to help

i was under the impression that with that socket you would be able to get the top up-pipe bolts out at the high pressure turbo outet without moving the EGR inlet pipe. obviously the e-doc is blocking these bolts from being removed and that socket is not going to fit around it, so the reality is that tool doesn't work as designed

i'll see if i can find the original flyer for it and post it up

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yay. I got my warranty replacement socket on Friday. Yesterday, Monday, I used my new socket. First pull on the ratchet the socket split... just like the first one.

Posted Image

I am thinking about bypassing my Snap-On dealer and contacting Snap-On directly. This is BULLSHIT!

My 3" extension works awesome with an extra deep socket on it! One of the guys I work with bought the snap-on socket and it looks so tiny and flimsy....maybe that's why you're breaking yours Keith.

It's a really thin walled socket. You know how stubborn those exhaust fasteners can be? I have resided to heating every one with the torch before loosening and have yet to break one or round the corners since adapting that strategy. In the long run it saves me time from not having to deal with a messed up fastener and the torch use probably only adds 10 minutes at the most to the job.

As for the socket, I really was doing fine without it but my tool monger bought it with me in mind... and I had a guilt thing going to I bought it. Like I said, I am taking this up with Snap-On directly.

I don't want another socket.

I want my money back! Posted Image

I spray all the bolts down with pb blaster and let it set for 10 or more minutes before trying to break any of them loose. Seems to work just fine for me.

I spray all the bolts down with pb blaster and let it set for 10 or more minutes before trying to break any of them loose. Seems to work just fine for me.

whats even better is if the truck will run...get it warm, spray it and let it cool. Makes life 10times easier.

I have only used my socket a couple times and have not had a issue "yet"

Yay. I got my warranty replacement socket on Friday. Yesterday, Monday, I used my new socket. First pull on the ratchet the socket split... just like the first one.

Shit I just got my replacement today. Hope my socket last longer then one pull !