Damn, 8mm bolt of stc fitting dropped.

Rate this topic

Yes, out of all the Stc fittings i have done at the high pressure pump it has finally happened. One of the 8mm bolts that held down the stc fitting to the branch tube slipped from my magnet past the rag and behing the crank sprocket somewhere into the rear cover or upper oil pan. I know the pick up tube screen wont suck it in. Tech here told me to finish up the job and turn the engine by hand. If there is no binding then I will be okay. What do you guys suggest anyone experience this. Its a cp job and customer needs it today. Truck broke down from out of state.

I would not assume it made it's way into the pan. I have dropped maybe 4 or 5 now and retrieved every single one. You WILL need a horoscope and a flexible magnet. There are a few places back there that will provide a perch for that bolt. It's just too close to the gear train to even consider chancing it. Are you SURE where it is/went?

Dropped my 8mm wobbly socket one time, bought a set of 1/4" locking extensions after that Posted Image

Mine ended up sitting on the upper oil pan, if you can't fish it out with a magnet, I would drop the pan and find it, just cause it "doesn't bind" now doesn't mean it's not sitting on the upper oil pan and might say hello to the crankshaft later while it's spinning at 2000 rpm.... Posted Image

Look down behind the cam gear, it usually sits back there somewhere. Mine have never made it past the cam gear, lucky me. If you can't find it from the top, drain the oil and try a small flexable magnet throught the drain plug hole. If you still can't find it drop the lower pan.

I removed the lower and upper oil pan or windage tray and could see the bolt through a hole on the last crankshaft main cap but unable to get it through the hole. Now i am removing the trans=grrr, frustation is sinking in. A suppose to be gravy job by noon which is cp. Is going into another day. Oh well time to invest on some magnetic sockets. LOL. Talk to you guys later. Time to go home and get a drink in me.

Well guys as soon as the rear cover came out the bolt dropped to the floor. I really cant see the bolt making its way to the oil pan at all if it falls in the rear cover=there is no access to pan from the rear of the engine. But anyways time to patch her up and send her home.