03/04 High pressure pump

Rate this topic

Is the pump from an early o4 the same as the 03 style that has the check ball issues. I have a truck with low oil pressure (low side), missing on the right bank of injectors. I have air tested the system and could hear no leaks. Would the check ball show a leak when pressurized? The build date is 5/04 it has the ICp sensor in the valve cover. Vehicle has to crank for a long time before it starts. I removed and inspected the low oil pressure pump. Looks fine no marks etc. And the oil filter reservoir seems to fill as it should. Not sure if the injectors are causing my issue or if the pump is weak

When air testing, could hear leakage what sounded like rear of engine, actuate IPR and the noise seemed to go away. Can the high pressure side cause a low oil pressure reading on the low side? Fuel pressure is 50 cranks a lot about 35-45 seconds before starting.

I am looking for any insight on this vehicle. Been with ford for 15 years, not active on the site. Customer was driving at 65 down the road and engine stalled. Was at another Ford dealer and they told him with low oil pressure he needs an engine. I am not sold that the base engine is bad. When it starts 2 cylinders are dead on the right bank and if revved up the two others will fall off. Relative compression all green. Engine cranks good. At least 30seconds of cranking to fire. Can the low sideoil pressure be affected by the High pressure pump or the injectors. removed valve cover inspected dummy plugs good. Could not see an issue with the injector to rail seal? Whats the next spet to determine the problem....

+1 on checking for combustion in the fuel, judging by the results you've posted so far. If need be search the site as there's a great write up on testing for it.

If it has a cast hpp cover it is the old style pump, if it has the aluminum hpp cover it is the new style pump. I've never had a hp issue cause low base pressure, if base pressure is low(verify with a manual gauge as the dash is not registering any "pressure readings" just an indicator) I would be suspecting a oil pressure regulator or something with the lp pump (ie: damaged front cover, split lp gerotor, etc.)

Definetly sounds like you need to check for exhaust gases with the cylinders dropping as you stated! Start by hooking up the 6.0L fuel pressure test kit and check for air bubbles in the return line of the tester. If air bubbles are there, then it is time for a bubble test to isolate the bank. The last several I've done with exhaust gas in the system that were under warranty, hotline and prior approval had me replace the whole bank of injectors and the banjo bolt at the front of the head.

Just checked oil pressure at the turbo feed tube. 8lbs at idle. Removed the lpop no scoring etc. removed regulator and spring looks good also. Replaced LPOP no change in the oil pressure....I need to fix the oil pressure issue before I worry about the injectors. Inspected the cover and LPOP cavity looks perfect. What is causing my low oil pressure? Do I need to remove and inspect bearing clearances? r waht else could have happened here?

Have you tested the low oil pressure with a master gauge? Or are you depending on the oil pressure trinket in the cluster? If you are chasing low oil pressure, you need to verify that you have low oil pressure. Not doing things properly and carefully can be a very expensive mistake.

Verify maitenance. Have had a couple lately come in with low oil pressure on the guage at idle when warm. Drain the black water from the pan, put oil in, no more pressure problems. customer says " well it has been awhile, didn't think it was that critical."

Yes did verify low oil pressure 8 psi, Have read in instances where the hpop looses the check ball on the early models and it affects the low oil pressure. I am installing a new pump on Monday and reevaluate the whole situation. Customer does his own service and seems to practive very good maintenance (Farmer) who seems to care for his stuff. Trcuk is an 04 that has 180,000 and almost looks new inside and out.