Broadcast messages.

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

Well, I guess it is no secret that I have a lot of spare time, right now....

I was perusing todays broadcast messages and found a bit of redundancy.

Near the top of the list we have >3282 - 6.7L DIESEL - DTC P164A RESETTING AFTER TSB 11-04-21

6.7L DIESEL VEHICLES MAY SET DTC P164A AFTER PERFORMING TSB 11-04-21. THE NOX ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES MAY NEED TO BE RESET TO PREVENT THE CODE FROM SETTING FALSELY. RESETTING THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES CAN BE PERFORMED WITH IDS BY SELECTING THE FOLLOWING: POWERTRAIN - SERVICE FUNCTIONS - RESET/CLEAR SPECIFIED FUNCTION AND THEN SELECTING "NITROGEN OXIDE". REPEAT THIS CLEAR PROCESS 10 TIMES. IF DTC P164A STILL SETS ON A ROAD TEST, DRIVE VEHICLE AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS FOR 5 MINUTES, PLACE TRANSMISSION IN MANUAL 5, AND PERFORM 10, 5 SECOND COAST DOWNS WITH ZERO ACCELERATOR INPUT FROM 50+ MPH. AFTER DRIVE, COLLECT MODE 6 DATA BY SELECTING POWERTRAIN - OBD TEST MODES - MODE 6 ON-BOARD TEST RESULTS. CONFIRM THAT THE VALUE OF "O2 SENSOR ADAPTIVE LEARNING ERROR" IS IN RANGE (0.9-1.20). IF OUT OF RANGE PERFORM AN ADDITIONAL 5 COAST DOWNS.

And lower on the list we have > 3266 - 6.7L DIESEL - DTC P164A RESETTING AFTER TSB 11-04-21

SOME 6.7L DIESEL VEHICLES MAY TRIGGER A P164A DTC AS A PENDING DTC OR ILLUMINATE THE MIL AFTER PERFORMING TSB 11-04-21 RECALIBRATION OR REPLACING THE NOX SENSOR. THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES FOR THE NOX SENSOR ARE NOT RESET DURING PCM REPROGRAMMING AND MAY NEED TO BE RESET/CLEARED TO PREVENT THE CODE FROM BEING SET FALSELY. RESETTING/CLEARING OF THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED WITH IDS BY SELECTING THE FOLLOWING: POWERTRAIN - SERVICE FUNCTIONS - RESET/CLEAR SPECIFIED FUNCTION AND THEN SELECTING THE NITROGEN OXIDE SELECTION. NOTE: ADDITIONAL DRIVE CYCLES WILL ALSO ALLOW THE ADAPTIVE LEARN TABLES TO UPDATE AND ACCURATELY EVALUATE THE O2 SIGNAL DURING EXTENDED DECELERATION FUEL SHUT OFF CONDITIONS, BUT WILL TAKE LONGER THAN RESETTING/CLEARING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES WITH IDS.

Why do I get the feeling we are clutching at straws?

Why do I get the feeling we are clutching at straws?

Because we likely are. If you didn't read already, the last one I did, I ended up replacing the NOx module for the final "successful fix" despite following all those steps listed after the reflash. I even asked if the online PC/ED for pinpoint test RD was going to be updated to reflect the success of this repair.

Not to be a bugger Jim, but the first SSM is 21894.

It worked for me yesturday. Sadly our other diesel tech did the initial diag on friday, so I didn't check OASIS. I had done the reprogram, reseting, roadtest, NOX sensor, reseting, regen. Only to have the code return. Went to contact hotline and this new SSM had appeared. Perfromed the procedure and BINGO, all fixed. What a lot of wasted time, all documented MT, so lets see if I get paid.

You guys get to do all the testing for this part... makes my job easier when I get back...

Well, you do have more important things to worry about than NOX sensors Jim.