2002. hpop res empties

Rate this topic

Truck has been sitting for 6 years. Had hpop replaced, now has long crank. Drove it in and let it sit over night. Res. empty. Cranked engine and it filled pretty quick. 20 minutes later and the res is half full now. Removed IPR and checked orings, they look ok. Reviewed all info I have on this engine and can't find any path for this res. to empty into. Where is the oil going?

I had one a long time ago like that and it was the shaft seal on the HPOP, it also was a fresh re-manufactured oil pump. I found it by removing the HPOP and filling the inlet to the HPOP with oil and leaving it for a while, soon there was a trail of oil from the shaft that the drive gear bolts to. I replaced the pomp again and no more issues.

I have just noticed that the reservoir has also been removed because there is silicone around it. Is it possible for the oil to drain past the seal into the front cover opening that accesses the HPOP gear?

Talked to the customer. He removed the reservoir thinking he had too inorder to change the HPOP. He recalls losing the lower gasket with the filter screen, and used silicone to seal it. That's my starting point now.

• 2 weeks later...

I found his gasket sitting on the engine mount. Noticed it while replacing the oil cooler orings. The reservoir has all new gaskets in it now and starts great.

• 6 years later...