Cat is going to common rail for 07

Rate this topic

HeuiTim

Heui is leaving, I'll have to change my username. A common rail pump will be located were the Heui is now. Plus the other side will have the afterburner off the turbo, the big ass pipe running up from the tailpipe for CGI (clean gas injection-Cats version of EGR) plus a CGI cooler. Glad I work on generators and not trucks anymore. Good luck with that. I think you will see real noses on medium duty trucks in the next few years, or cabovers!

Long live the Heui

Interesting change for CAT but I am not surprised. The new high pressure common rail systems will have a good impact on cleaning up the emissions from these trucks. I think we are all in for a rough road ahead as we have to deal not only with the new technologies but dealing with the changes as they evolve. I'm sure new fuels and fuel blending will eventually come to play as well.

Speaking of working on generators, you may well be back to trucks before long. Trucks with a diesel generator supplying electric drive motors is not a far-fetched concept. The rail industry has been doing it for what, almost 75 years?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Long live the diesel electric!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am willing to bet International is going to follow the same path Dumping HEUI on The DT series too.Soon to be the MAXXFORCE line,Which will be there New engine designation Names.

My question was more to the likes of: I wonder if Cat borrowed this technology from Navistar, since the PowerStroke HEUI was a Cat design in the first place..?..

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B.:

I am willing to bet International is going to follow the same path Dumping HEUI on The DT series too.Soon to be the MAXXFORCE line,Which will be there New engine designation Names.

My question was more to the likes of: I wonder if Cat borrowed this technology from Navistar, since the PowerStroke HEUI was a Cat design in the first place..?..

Here is the story to that that I was told along time ago.The developement of the HEUI system was a JOINT venture Between International and CAT.Something happend along the line somewhere and CAT ended up owning the Patent rights soley.Which from what I understand that Internationational was also to share these rights to the patent and Use of the technology and somehow got stiffed.I am sure there is way more to the story but this resulted in a longtime court mess which since has just been resolved not too long ago.While only somewhat related to this Ford was also in this mix latter on when International started Using the splitshot Injector Nationwide and Not just CA. in the T-444E and PSD version in early 99.Then the Huge warranty claims From Ford on Failed Injectors all three were pointing fingers at each other on whos fault it was.I think this led to the patch job LL8 Injector developemnt. What a Joke of engineering that was.Kind of funny that International Never Installed this Injector in any of their designated T-444E'S Just Ford PSD applications.One has to think what the Real issue was.

Quote:
Kind of funny that International Never Installed this Injector in any of their designated T-444E'S Just Ford PSD applications.One has to think what the Real issue was. [/QB]
Interesting...... I've never heard that(just assumed they did).. So, do you hear any audible knock on them? The storywe hear, and it makes sense to me, is that since #6&8 fire so closely in the firing order, the HPOpressure is momentatily depleated so as to slightly lower the effective injection pressure on #8.. The LL just stutters the injection long enough to stabilize the HPOpsi and allow the injection pressure to be more consistant with the others... The knock we are hearing is a fuel knock and it fixes them, so like I said, I tend to believe it but wonder why Nav wouldnt have the same issues.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

I have seen the LL injector in international chassis engines. Only a few times though. The story I heard with the HEUI system was the CAT had the money but navistar had the technology.

I have seen the LL injector in international chassis engines. Only a few times though. The story I heard with the HEUI system was the CAT had the money but navistar had the technology.

This is a New one to me(The LL).I have never seen one in a blue engine or have ever seen a International Service message regarding the Installation of one.So I have always assumed they never used it.Any time I have had a T-444E with a Banging Idle knock like Alot of PSD's have its been a Bad Injector or Fuel pressure issue.Also I Never had one exhibit the Midrange pinging or rattle in the 1500-1800 RPM range that alot of Fords suffer from.I think some of the Ford Traits or problems stem from their ECM set-up and programming VS International's electronics

• 3 weeks later...