Coolant leak

Rate this topic

So, the tsb for thermostats causing rad failures is gone, as the latest recall calibration includes a t-stat monitor. Has anyone seen the latest tsb for coolant leak? Check for leak at radiator hose connections. If leak is present at either hose, replace both hoses, repalce radiator and flush and replace coolant. Apparantly it is now thought that low coolant levels are causing rad failures. (and here I thought rad failures were causing low coolant levels?)

TSB 11-1-7 is gone entirely due to the release of the new engine calibration that monitors thermostat operation making the diagnosis in the TSB totally un-necessary. The calibration works well as I have had bad t-stats among other things caught by the new calibration come into my bay. We have discussed some of this elsewhere and kudos to Ford.

I am not sure if TSB 11-6-6 should necessarily replace 11-1-7 because coolant leaks and improperly installed venturi-tees are not a new problem but if you are looking at this from the coolant leak perspective then I guess it works. I beleive Mr. Chan identified the deficiency of the radiator hose design a long time ago.

Apparently there are some knuckle heads out there that didn't follow the directions when installing the venturi-tees. I have run into a handful of so over the years. If we can't get THAT right...

Apparently there are some knuckle heads out there that didn't follow the directions when installing the venturi-tees. I have run into a handful of so over the years. If we can't get THAT right...

Funny you should mention that Keith. On the very last truck I replaced the horizontal cooler and water pump on, I noticed the venturi tee was incorrectly installed. It's pretty scary when the tee is very clearly labeled as to its proper orientation and still being installed incorrectly.

Originally Posted By: Keith Browning
Funny you should mention that Keith. On the very last truck I replaced the horizontal cooler and water pump on, I noticed the venturi tee was incorrectly installed. It's pretty scary when the tee is very clearly labeled as to its proper orientation and still being installed incorrectly.

And not just labled!! The side that goes to the Degas is also marked in WHITE!!

If you saw one of the guy I work with you'd FULLY understand how someone could get that recall wrong. He's been in the business for 30+ years and doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. You bet he's installed those recalls though

Thats kinda the point of my post. First it was the backflow of gass buildup causing rads to fail, then it was bad thermostats causing temperature/pressure fluctuations causing rads to fail, now its low coolant levels causing rads to fail. Will they ever admit that (some of these) rads just fail? I have seen A/M all aluminium rads in 6.0l trucks, I wonder if or when they might be available for 6.4l trucks.

So basically you are saying that if these rads were built better they might withstand all these cooling system situations? I agree... but if the other things you mentioned were not an issue there also would not be a problem.

The 6.4 is full of major problems. Just when I think I have them figured out another failure occurs that throws me for a loop. I have had owners tell me that they never should of gotten rid of their 6.0L.

This is just not true. Warranty data shows that the 6.4L is nearly as good or better than the 7.3L.

Originally Posted By: Mikill
The 6.4 is full of major problems. Just when I think I have them figured out another failure occurs that throws me for a loop. I have had owners tell me that they never should of gotten rid of their 6.0L.

This is just not true. Warranty data shows that the 6.4L is nearly as good or better than the 7.3L.

Maybe in your area. But I go weeks working on 6.4 after 6.4. Engine teardown and engine teardown.

Thats not what Im saying at all Keith, all these problems do need to be addressed for sure, but why is it that any cooling sytem problem will make the rad leak. I think there is a serious quality issue with these rads, that is not getting addressed by ford or the manufacturer. They just keep giving us the same crap to put back in. I often wonder if the mounting design has something to do with it. With the weight of the core with coolant in it "hanging" from the plastic tanks, then introduce body flex and vibration.

How many rads have we changed with non of these other issues present?

Originally Posted By: Mikill

I have heard this statement before but I find it VERY hard to buy into. There are far less 6.4s on the road then the 7.3 or 6.0. plus when a 6.4 fails its takes everything including the kitchen sink into the pits of hell with it. You cant tell me a warrenty cost is cheaper on a 6.4 then anything else.

I am curious too. A comparison between the first 4 years of production for each engine; 7.3L 6.0L 6.4L. You might also want to break it down between the (number of claims) and (repair cost per claim)

I am not going to argue with Rich but It does seem like whenever I see a 6.4L more often than not it is a big, expensive pain in the ass repair.

I am curious too. A comparison between the first 4 years of production for each engine; 7.3L 6.0L 6.4L. You might also want to break it down between the (number of claims) and (repair cost per claim)

You might also add number of vehicles repaired under warranty compared to number of vehicles sold. I know, we're in the dealership and everyone we see is BROKE but we need to remember, there are alot of these trucks (7.3L, 6.0L, 6.4L) that make it out of warranty without ever seeing the dealership for more than service work.

I remember working on the original 7.3 powerstroke when they were new. They were not without their problems, but I don't recall any catastrophic failures like the 6.4, or dare I say 6.7. They were also very lightly stressed compared to the new engines. I guess the shorter the fuse, the sooner the bomb goes off....