93 idi no/ hard start hot

Rate this topic

93 7.3 idi when hot is very hard to start ( long crank ), or will not start. Many moons ago, i vaguely remember an issue with vapour lock in the fuel system, but its been a long time since. Anyone recall this or any other issues with this concern? Thanks in advance

Stepping into my Way-back machine I do recall several items that were common with the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI. I replaced many injection pumps due to governor problems mostly related to water intrusion and corrosion. It wasn't uncommon to find failed WIF sensors. If it's a really high mileage pump then it's likely just worn out.

Another area that sticks in my head is the lift pump on the block as well as the rubber fuel hoses.

what i found out after my long time ago memory came back, was that when it would not start after a hot soak, i dumped cold water onto the injection pump, and voila, fired right up. Replaced the pump and problem gone.

• 3 weeks later...

How about that!

I fixed a no start/no spark concern when hot on my Indian Chief,by.......

Coolin' the trigger with an ICE CUBE!

Technician my ass!

Call me a shadetree! Posted Image

Glad ya got it fixed!

How about that!

I fixed a no start/no spark concern when hot on my Indian Chief,by.......

Coolin' the trigger with an ICE CUBE!

Technician my ass!

Call me a shadetree! Posted Image

Glad ya got it fixed!

WEll? If you had parked it under a shade tree it would have started eventually!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

• 1 year later...

what i found out after my long time ago memory came back, was that when it would not start after a hot soak, i dumped cold water onto the injection pump, and voila, fired right up. Replaced the pump and problem gone.

Thats what I do when I get a 7.3l with a bad CMP sensor that has stalled and will not start. It was funny to call my boss on his Nextel and tell him to get someone down the street with 2 gallons of cold water.

Stepping into my Way-back machine I do recall several items that were common with the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI. I replaced many injection pumps due to governor problems mostly related to water intrusion and corrosion. It wasn't uncommon to find failed WIF sensors. If it's a really high mileage pump then it's likely just worn out.

Another area that sticks in my head is the lift pump on the block as well as the rubber fuel hoses.

Remember that really geat water separator tucked in the left rear corner of the engine compartment that usually let air into the system? I think they all were bypassed at some point. I know Eveery one I see has been. all that water headed straight for the pump

Remember that really geat water separator tucked in the left rear corner of the engine compartment that usually let air into the system? I think they all were bypassed at some point. I know Eveery one I see has been. all that water headed straight for the pump

Where exactly does it let air in the system? I don't work on many idi's. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif<<And those are tears of joy because I don't work work in many idi's.

I think the valve itself leaked but I personally have never touched one either. That is what I remember.

Correct. Mounted under the MC was an aluminum "can" with a pull ring on the top that opened a "rubber cork" valve on the bottom. It was very low tech and prone to suction leakage from the valve. We replaced them with a Napa/Wix 3123 and aluminum header mounted on the rear of the cab. Many guys just bypassed them, but I don't like the idea of that....

We replaced them with a Napa/Wix 3123 and aluminum header mounted on the rear of the cab. Many guys just bypassed them, but I don't like the idea of that....

But to stand in front of one of these trucks and look at the filter set up on the engine, would it not have just been easier to change to the new filter with the open end on the bottom for the water collection bowl and sensor... and buy the collection bowl? When Navistar updated to that design it seemed as though it was just that simple. Of course the WIF sensor lead was now 4 feet to the right but you could easily splice some wire into the harness...

Okay, who am I kidding.

I think the valve itself leaked but I personally have never touched one either. That is what I remember.

This is the water drain valve? Everyone I have seen have that metal piece that screws into the bottom of the fuel filter with a "screw-in" type valve.

I may be wrong but I thought the pull ring on the top was to bleed off air from the fuel bowl. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif When we do see these on the rare occasion we have changed them over to the Fleetgard remote fuel setup. Usually they come in leaking all over the place( rotted out ).