IDS

Rate this topic

Not that it pertains much to us but there is a broadcast message saying NOT to reprogram the new focus if you have 75.01. It will cause a no start. Makes you wonder whats going on over there with all the website issues they are having plus IDS concerns.

Originally Posted By: lmorris
Makes you wonder whats going on over there with all the website issues they are having plus IDS concerns.

In a word? Micro$oft

oh god dont get me started on that mess and this pos called windows 7...All I can say is I love my Mac....

I just dropped $2100bucks after tax and shipping for a VCM now I need to find a laptop to use. Im dreading buying a PC again but it probably the best option for IDS use only

I'm not convinced that "now" is a good time to buy a VCM...

We appear to be entering a new generation of on-board electronics and I am reasonably sure that this will signal the end of Fords support of VCM based systems.

What the replacement might be is anyones guess.... if it will be compatible with existing systems is anyones guess (it's not like we couldn't see another EEC-IV to OBD change again).

FWIW.... I was doing an Out of Province inspection on a 1998 Vulva... oops, Volvo on Friday. Part of the insepction requires me to communicate with several modules on the car using a scan tool. Alberta Infrastructure gave their blessing to the OTC Genysis as an "accepted scan tool" (they have an inventory of our tools and they match this to their "approved" list). The Genysis will only communicate with about 1/3rd of Volvos from this era.

IluvmyjobIluvmyjobIluvmyjob.....

We appear to be entering a new generation of on-board electronics and I am reasonably sure that this will signal the end of Fords support of VCM based systems.

What the replacement might be is anyones guess.... if it will be compatible with existing systems is anyones guess (it's not like we couldn't see another EEC-IV to OBD change again).

The last I heard was that the hardware was going to be sourced out through Snap-On and the software would have to be purchased through Ford.

I'm not convinced that "now" is a good time to buy a VCM...

FWIW.... I was doing an Out of Province inspection on a 1998 Vulva... oops, Volvo on Friday. Part of the insepction requires me to communicate with several modules on the car using a scan tool. Alberta Infrastructure gave their blessing to the OTC Genysis as an "accepted scan tool" (they have an inventory of our tools and they match this to their "approved" list). The Genysis will only communicate with about 1/3rd of Volvos from this era.

IluvmyjobIluvmyjobIluvmyjob.....

I partially agree but it could be years before the next gen scan tool hits our bays...I have held out for a VCM for quite some time but my new job venture is going to require one which is why I did it now. Its much cheaper to buy while still employed by a dealer. If if support was to stop tomorrow it is still very useful for 94ish to 2012 MY vehicles. I see support for the VCM lasting at least another couple years worst case but in this biz its anybodys guess....