IDS

Rate this topic

Can someone try to update their IDS for me and see if the server is down everywhere? On two of my PCs I get a message of "The diagnostic tester failed to connect to the corporate server. Please wait 10 minutes and try again." I've been getting this since yesterday morning. Being that the internet works fine, I have to assume it's on Ford's end.

Thanks!

Posted Image

@9:06 am I ran my IDS Software Update Manager and it stated there were no updates. This leads me to think I connected to the server. There may be multiple servers. Is this the IDS update you are asking about???

@9:06 am I ran my IDS Software Update Manager and it stated there were no updates.

Probably because you're at 73 and 74 is out? Maybe try loading 74 and see if it will update? If a new version is out, it always tells me there's no updates.

Thanks, Keith.

Posted Image

Bruce, We had problems with a couple of our laptops and software where it said that constantly, but others would connect no problem, we have to manually enter the software update from the start menu. IIRC it's 'start' 'all programs' 'ids' 'software update'.

The latest and greatest late last week was 74.01.

FWIW, IDS will announce a change from say 73.something to 73. something else.. but it wont announce a change from say 73 to 74.

Used to be I'd get a disc in the mail to update IDS... those pretty much dried up and I'd see a broadcast message inferring that there was a new version... even those are drying up.

It would rock if IDS would tell us not to bother with 73.05 because 74.01 is already availble. But for some reason, it seems like Fords right hand sometimes doesn't know what even Fords right hand is doing.

As for burn a disc? The PC in our coffee room is on a wired connection. I download IDS software to the desktop and use my thumb drive to distribute it through the shop. This is much quicker since the Toughbooks the shop owns and the Netbooks Adam and Kyle use don't have on board removable drives.

Interesting side note.... we've had a couple of 6.7s that were missing 4 lines of data from Mode 6 (the last 4 lines of the NOx section). P164A alone was recurring. All of these were recently reflashed with either 73 or 72 - can't remember. Hotline was stumped but I found reflashing with 74.01 brought the missing lines back.

• 1 month later...

74.05 locks up on us before reprogram begins. I used IDScleanup off INFORD and went back to 73.08, but I get an issue with Turbo boost test not running because it won't pick up EGRVP. Updated to 74 but didn't update to 74.05 yet. Waiting to see if 74.06 fixes the issue.

Not a bad idea. Out of habit I save the downloads instead of just installing from the website. I also keep the earlier version on file just in case. Will try it when I get a chance and post results. Just did an update on a 6L FICM with 74.00 with no problems. Next up are headgaskets so I may be a couple of days. Our tune-up tech is at 74.05 and couldn't reprogram an 06 Escape yesterday, he will keep me posted with progress on his end. Our Ford provided VCM/IDS is only at 74.04 and it seems to be OK so far.

It isn't real strange to see the first patch meet the new release on day 1ish.

At some point they HAVE to say "OK, it's releaseable" and they can pick up the pieces as they fall off.... elsewise we may never see the "new" software as it will always be "in development". Some of you guys have to remember the almost daily software changes with the 6.0.

I think we are beginning to dwell too hard on IDS release version numbers while, quite possibly, missing out on the utility of the tool itself.

What do I see in the near future? A direct connection 'twixt laptop and truck.... maybe even back to a stand-alone scope quite different from the VMM for those that have the luxury of a scope at all.

My very first computer was a CoCo2 (put that in your Google and smoke it). Since then I have seen the "processor" eveolve beyond all imagination. (Remember, I came to North America on a steamship at a time when trans-oceanic flight was only for the very rich). If you can imagine something, it has the possibility of being a reality.